You must be logged in and verified to contact the designer.
From the early 1800's through to World War II, Ship Tanks were a common way to transport liquids and bulk materials between England and various ports throughout the world. Examples have been found which were used to carry everything from potable water through mustard powder, cocoa powder and bread. Ship tanks came in three common sizes - 100, 200 and 400 gallon volumes - with three common lid diameters - 15", 18" and 24". Ship tanks were commonly recycled to serve as water tanks, distillery equipment and other liquid-holding devices. They became a cultural phenonmenon throughout Australia and New Zealand and were often found in Canada and other English colonial possessions. This set offers three tanks, one of each lid diameter for the 400 gallon size. This size is roughly 48" on each side. The lid is marked for F. Braby & Co., a defunct company which manufactured thousands of these tanks from the 1830's to the 1950's. The lid for each tank is attached via two sprues which should be cut and removed during assembly. The tanks were commonly painted and marked with the logo and details for the contents, or were supplied as plain galvanized metal for potable water storage.