You must be logged in and verified to contact the designer.
Built by Charles Tayleur in 1837, Vulcan was one of three class members operated by the broad-gauge GWR. Withdrawn in 1843, it was rebuilt as a tank engine (also available), running until 1868 when becoming a stationary boiler until scrapped in 1870.
When used with a broad-gauge tender (two versions separately available) and other N broad gauge items available – notably axles for easy conversion and ready-to-use dual-gauge sleepers for track – this is a fully operational model. Motorisation is easily undertaken by using one of the available standard-gauge motorised coaches/trucks on the dual-gauge track (broad gauge motorising is currently under development).
Necessary to Complete:
Leading wheels – Peco spoked wheels cut in two work ideally
Driving wheels – Graham Farish Royal Scot driving wheels can be easily regauged on a 2mm diameter axle. P4 wheels could also be used as an alternative.
Axles – either those available to slot Peco wheelsets onto or an equivalent to ensure the correct 14mm gauge (eg 12.5mm lengths of cotton wool bud shaft)
Couplings (the method used is at the builder's discretion)
Optional additional details to scratchbuild (at the builder's discretion):
Safety valves (x2 - drill point marked)
Reverser lever (its base is pre-printed)
Wheel guards (locating points included)
Tie Bars (unusually located above the frames)