The Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps motor-racing circuit is the venue of the Formula One Belgian Grand Prix, and of the Spa 24 Hours and 1000 km Spa endurance races. The original course was designed in 1920 by Jules de Thier and Henri Langlois Van Ophem. It was a triangle-shaped course that used public roads between the Belgian towns of Francorchamps, Malmedy, and Stavelot. Over the years, the Spa course has been modified several times. The biggest change, however, saw the circuit being shortened from 14 km (9 mi) to 7 km (4 mi) in 1979. The start/finish line, which was originally on the downhill straight before Eau Rouge, was moved to the straight before the La Source hairpin in 1981. Like its predecessor the new layout still is a fast and hilly route through the Ardennes where speeds in excess of 330 km/h (205 mph) can be reached. Since inception, the place has been famous for its unpredictable weather. Frequently drivers are confronted with one part of the course being clear and bright while another stretch is rainy and slippery.
The circuit probably demonstrates the importance of driver skill more than any other in the world. This is largely due to the Eau Rouge and Blanchimont corners, both which need to be taken flat out to achieve a fast run onto the straights after them, which aids a driver in both a fast lap and in overtaking.
The Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps sculpture is approximately 4" x 6" - slightly larger than our standard models - and is available in full color sandstone. The track outline is highlighted with an embossed white detail running along the top of the sculpture. The bottom is engraved and offset so that it can be hung on a wall using penny nails.