You must be logged in and verified to contact the designer.
GSR Drumm battery railcar A-B set
The Drumm Battery Train was a battery electric multiple unit developed in the 1930s which ran successfully in service on the Dublin to Bray route. The train's batteries were charged via an overhead pickup at the turnaround station.
The train was a successful implementation of the battery developed by Dr James J. Drumm.
Unit A was constructed at Inchicore railway works in 1931 shortly followed by unit B.
Units C and D were constructed in 1938.
Units A and B were in service from 1932 to 1949, being joined by units C and D in 1939, though the later units were not as successful as hoped. The Drumm Battery Trains were especially useful in the coal shortages of the early 1940s however were restricted by electricity supply shortages of 1949.
The units were withdrawn in 1949 due to the batteries becoming life expired and cheaper alternatives available. Their batteries and electrical equipment were removed and they continued in service as ordinary hauled carriages until 1955. They were stored on a siding at Foxrock until being scrapped.