Built in 1883, the Rowan steam car was the first rail car introduced to Victoria. The rail car was a combination steam engine, drivers cabin and passenger compartment to seat 42 people. The overall length was 42 ft 6 in (12.95 m) and the tare weight was 14.25 long tons (14.48 t). For most of the 1880s it ran local trains between Essendon and Broadmeadows where it was known unofficially as the "Broady Car". In September 1892, the railcar was converted to a separate engine unit and trailer. It is believed that this unit was little used after this conversion and was eventually sold to the Melbourne and Altona Colliery Company.
This model has been designed to employ a Tsugawa Yokou TU-KOPPEL A mechanism and to be finished using 0.4 mm brass wire for the hand-rails/guards at the back of the rail car.