This is a model of a General Steel Industries Depressed Center Flatcar. These cars were used by various railroads and they were purchased in kit form from GSI to be built in their home shops. The car used as a prototype for this model was SLSF 3900. I recommend adding a load so that the car meets NMRA weight requirements. An all-plastic car may be too light.
Parts needed to complete this car:
- GSI Depressed Center Flatcar (This listing)
- GSI 3 Axle Trucks (includes additional detail parts for this car)
- Some of the smaller details like stirrups or grab iron mounting holes may not print correctly. You may need to drill out/ refabricate some of the smaller details or install aftermarket parts. There are preformed holes for mounting 18" grab irons at various prototypical location on the carbody.
- On the side of the car without jacking pads, there should be two holes to install a brass wire brake hose (not included).
- There are three holes for truck mounting- The Flatcar Parts (separate listing) kit bolster has a center mount hole and an offset hole. The trucks are reversible for offset mounting in either direction.
- The truck and coupler mounting holes may need to be widened or tapped before screwing the parts on.
- For the different scale versions, I modified the model to have different sized mounting holes so I wasn't just scaling the HO holes into different scales. They should be tapped and/or rezised for your preferred hardware as neccesary.
Recommended Shapeways Accessories:
General Steel Industries Three Axle Trucks
- Includes truck parts and the other two jacking pads
Wood decking material for upper decksHi-Tech or other brand air hoses Coupler cut leverVertical mount brake wheel and stemDecals and paint for your particular railroadOptional load
- 18" grab irons
- Nut/Bolt/Washer castings (optional grab iron detail)
- brass wire for air line (.020" for HO scale recommended)
- 1 -step and 2-step stirrups in case they don't print on the model
- Kadee #178 draft gear boxes and Kadee scale head couplers (HO)
- 2-56 (O)
- 2-56 and 0-80 (S)
- 2-56 and 0-40 (HO)
- 00-90 (N)