You must be logged in and verified to contact the designer.
The USS Nevada (BB-36) was the first of two Nevada class battleships of the US Navy. The Nevada class were the first to adopt the so-called all-or-nothing armour scheme, planning on shielding just the machinery and magazine spaces and leave the forward and after end of the ships unarmed so as to save weight and maximize armour thickness where it mattered. Launched in 1914 and commissioned two years later, Nevada was fitted with the newly-invented geared turbine, while her sister Oklahoma was fitted with the older vertical triple expansion steam engines. Also the Nevada class introduced oil-fired boilers into the US Navy, while older classes had coal-fired ones with some capable of oil spraying to have a more efficient combustion.
Nevada joined the Atlantic Fleet as soon as it was commissioned in 1916; during World War One she became part of the Sixth Battle Squadron of the Grand Fleet alongside her sister Oklahoma.
Nevada spent the 1920s showing the flag around the world, and in 1927 was put in dockyard for modernization: her cage masts were removed and the turbines changed. After the refit Nevada served with the Pacific Fleet for the next 11 years.
On December 7th, 1941, Nevada was at the end of Battleship Row, behind the battleship Arizona, and was the only ship to get underway during the attack; however she was ordered to beach herself at Hospital Point so as not to block the entrance channel to the harbor if she was sunk. The battleship was refloated in February 1942 and transferred to Puget Sound dockyard for reconstruction. The ship that emerged the following year was very different to the old Nevada: the superstructure had been removed up to the casemate deck and completely rebuilt in a single tower block, the smokestacks were trunked and a single funnel put in place of the previous two; the main armament remained her ten 14in guns, but the secondary and AA armament was completely replaced by sixteen 5in/38 dual-purpose guns in eight twin mounts, four on each side of the superstructure.
Nevada went on participating in escort and shore bombardment duty, she was the flagship of the fleet at D-Day, took part in bombarding Japanese positions in the Pacific, most notably on Iwo Jima, and was part of the occupation fleet in Tokyo Bay for some time right after the end of the war. During the transfer from the Atlantic to the Pacific, the ship's guns were replaced with barrels recovered from the USS Arizona (BB-39).
Too old to continue as a frontline unit, she was used in the two atomic tests in Bikini Atoll together with many other vessels, such as the battleship Nagato, aircraft carrier USS Saratoga, and heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen. She survived both tests and was finally sunk by a torpedo fired a US Navy aircraft after having sustained large caliber fire for five days from US ships.