Catalog of over 2500 scale models and nameplates (click here).
Scale: 1/96 (1/8 inch = 1 foot)
Turrets are available from Model-Monkey.com (click here).
This model kit superstructure is intended to help the modeler build USS Pennsylvania BB-38 in her final wartime appearance. This model represents the ship's "01 Level" superstructure, the former boat deck and 5"/51 cal. casemate gun positions, heavily modified to accept eight twin-gun 5"/38 cal. mounts (turrets).
Notice: because of its large size, this model is only available in "White Natural Versatile Plastic", which is nylon. White Natural Versatile Plastic is waterproof and strong, a good choice for Radio Control models where durability is important. When compared to "Fine Detail" acrylic plastic, sharp edges appear less defined and more rounded when printed. Being nylon, "White Natural Versatile Plastic" is generally not sandable and fewer types of paint and glue will adhere to it. Care is recommended in choosing a paint that will adhere to and fully cure upon nylon. Google "glue for nylon", "paint for nylon" and "primer for nylon" to find several good options.
Customers report that "White Natural Versatile Plastic", when compared to "Smooth Fine Detail" acrylic plastic, will have noticeable striations (print lines). To help smooth "White Natural Versatile Plastic" surfaces, apply thin layers of primer meant specifically for nylon. Allow the primer to harden. Then smooth the hardened primer.
Instructions describing how to build USS Pennsylvania are not provided with this product when shipped to you. Please study the images shown in the carousel on this webpage to learn where each part goes, as well as online references such as photographs of USS Pennsylvania BB-38 found on NavSource (click here).
- overall dimensions and features scaled from official US Navy drawings. Overall dimensions match scaled drawings by Thomas Walkowiak with details and funnel shape adjusted to match high-resolution photographs of the actual ship
- accurately shaped deck, vents, and Bofors tub' splinter shields
- planked deck with outer waterways. planking pattern and extents match high-resolution photos
- recesses in planking for forward superstructure tower, funnel and aft superstructure tower, available separately
- recess for funnel is an accurate ellipse, not an incorrect oval with slab sides, and matches the footprint of the Model Monkey-designed funnel available separately
- pedestals for eight 5"/38 cal Mk.32 twin-gun mounts (turrets) accurately sized and positioned (5"/38 cal. mounts available separately)
- doors of the correct 3-bar type accurately located, some doors open, with chevron-shaped rain deflectors
- skylights and hatches accurately sized and located
- raised tubs for Mk.51 and Mk.57 directors accurately located with splinter shields (directors not included)
- accurate portholes of the correct size (12" and 16"), properly positioned, with rigol (eyebrow) detail
- accurately located and integrated 20mm Oerlikon ready service ammunition lockers
- small, subtle raised locator disks marking two 20mm Oerlikon positions at the aft outer corners (20mm Oerlikons not included)
- accurately shaped and positioned quadruple 40mm Bofors tubs with subtle raised locator discs (quadruple 40mm Bofors mounts not included)
- integrated barbette for 14"/45 cal. triple-gun turret (14"/45 cal. turrets available separately)
© Model Monkey LLC. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.