By mid-1917, Nieuport fighters were seen as second-rate compared to the SPAD 7
. The Nieuport 24
was an attempt to update the well-tried Nieuport 17
design. It featured the 130hp Le Rhône engine, all-new ply-covered tail surfaces, and a redesigned wing for better lift. (By May 1917 it had fully supplanted the Nieuport 17 and 24bis in the factories.) It suffered from failures of the lower-wing attachments and Nieuport 24 pilots were warned against extreme aerobatics. It was preceded into service by the Nieuport 24bis
, but standard Nieuport 24s reached the front lines in June 1917, and it served with at least forty-eight escadrilles. It was only partially successful in staving off SPAD dominance, though, as many Nieuport units re-equipped with SPADs in the latter months of 1917 and early 1918.
A small number were purchased by Russia in 1917 and they were gradually replaced by native-built the Nieuport 17bis. The RFC purchased some for evaluation, but deployment was delayed until their aerodynamics could be improved. RFC planes used a top-wing Lewis gun on a Foster Mount rather than a synchronized Vickers. They served with № 1, 29, and 40 squadrons and later in Palestine.
This product represents an RFC Nieuport 24 with a top-wing Lewis on a Foster Mount. In 1:144 scale, there are also models with only the Vickers
, a French version with both Vickers and Lewis
, and an RFC model with twin Lewis guns
. The standard model is also available in 1:285/6mm/1:288 scale.
For more details and gaming information, see https://linen.miraheze.org/wiki/Nieuport_24