I have spent many months and countless hours to design and create a finely detailed and functional mod for the DeAgostini Millennium Falcon. This is a set of parts for the Loading Ramp and the Airlock Entry that goes into a curved corridor. Each part is my original design, and not anything that Model Space or DeAgostini has made for this model. Additional credit goes to
LrdSatyr8, for collaborating with me on this daring endeavor. Also, I give credit to bluevioce
, who created some fantasic detail on the inside of the ramp hall walls.
The Hull Frame will need to be cut, sanded, and finished to make this mod fit properly inside the model, so this part set is not a plug-and-play or direct bolt-on kit, and is not recommended for novice or average model builders.
The ramp motor and ramp light LED strip will be relocated in this mod, so do not install them as of yet for this project. The curved corridor floor has open slots on its outside borders, to allow to add optional LED or side-lit fiber optic lines for illumination.
The Lower Linkage Carriage shall be glued flush with the top of the existing hydraulic arm brackets. The microswitch standoffs are designed to be adjustable, to compensate for any tiny errors in assembly. The existing microswitches need to be relocated on the new standoffs to make this mod work. The sock OEM microswitches need to be re-positioned accordingly:
- The bottom switch, or closed postion switch now goes on the Stern Side Linkage Standoff. Adjust the standoff as necessary, and glue in place.
- The top switch, or open position switch now goes on the Bow Side Linkage Standoff. Adjust the standoff as necessary as mentioned above.
For a reference, I've attached a photo of the modified hull framing, and which metal sections need to be removed. In this case, hull frame sections BF-05, BF-06, BF-07, and BF-08 need to be cut with a rotary tool and a cutting disk, such as a Dremel and a no.409 or no.420 cutoff wheel. Save any of the 2-hole and 4-hole frame connectors and all the screws for spares, because one 2-hole frame connector will need to be added to the existing frame sections (BF-07 and BF-08, see attached photo). All the mounting standoffs for the ramp motor will also need to be cut off flush and sanded smooth. The existing metal ramp hinge will be replaced with my one-piece low profile ramp hinge.
The Ramp Hall & Airlock Corridor Complete MOD Part Set includes the following parts:
- Stern Sidewall (X1)
- Bow Sidewall (X1)
- Outer Ramp Hall Short Wall (X1)
- Ramp Hall Ceiling (X1)
- Curved Airlock Corridor (X1)
- Stern Side Corridor End Cap (X1)
- Bow Side Corridor End Cap (X1)
- Corridor Cusion Ring (X2)
- Curved Corridor Floor (X1)
- Hydraulic Ramp Bracket (X2)
- Hydraulic Ramp Arm Guide Pin (X2)
- Stern Hydraulic Arm (X1)
- Bow Hydraulic Arm (X1)
- Hydraulic Bottom Hinge Set (X1, 4pcs.)
- Hydraulic Bottom Hinge Pin Set (X1, 6pcs.)
- One Piece Low-Profile Ramp Hinge (X1)
- Motor Arm Retainer Stud Set (X1, 2pcs.)
- Extended Ramp Motor Arm/ Piston (X1)
- Lower Linkage Carriage (X1)
- Upper Linkage Bracket (X1)
- Bow Side Adjustable Microswitch Linkage Standoff (X1)
- Stern Side Adjustable MicroSwitch Linkage Standoff (X1)
- Motor Linkage Pivot Set (X1, 2pcs.)
- Updated Motor Mount Bracket ( X1)
This kit is available only in White Strong & Flexible Polished plastic.
In case anyone has received this kit with bad or missing parts for the hydraulic arm pistons, the replacement set is here.
Assembly Video Instructions:
Video no. 1 -
covers the Ramp Motor & Motor Case disassembly, modifications, and re-assembly.
Video no. 2
- covers the tools required for this video, where to cut the hull frame sections, and shows the installation of the Low Profile One-Piece Ramp Hinge.
Video no. 3
- covers the relevant parts that require painting before assembly.
Video no. 4
- covers assembly for the curved corridor section, and the ramp hall ceiling, as weill as important mod notes.
Video no. 5
- covers attaching the curved corridor & corridor floor together, and gluing all the ramp hallway walls together.
Video no. 6
- covers the assembly of the missing hydraulic ramp piston arms, how they should be oriented, and pre-fitting the ramp hall & corridor onto the metal framing. It also describes a preview for the instructions of video no. 7.
Video no. 7
- covers the cutting locations on the ramp for the missing hydraulic arm piston footing, light blocking the corridor & ramp hall assembly, and mounting the ramp motor case to the modified motor mount bracket. The video also has a descriptive preview of what to expect next for upcoming video no.8.
Video no. 8 -
This covers the final assembly of the ramp mod for the DeAgostini Millennium Falcon. Please pay attention to all the important details and notes, as they are covered in the entire video description.
Bonus Video no. 9 -
Shows a proof of action video that demonstrates the ramp mod working, courtesy of Matthew Groff.
*This part set has been updated with parts trees/ sprues so that Shapeways can print it easier, which for some strange reason, were having problems with. It is available again for everyone to enjoy. The motor mount brackets have also been updated to resolve fitting issues.
Stay tuned for more!