The final production series of the large Caproni Ca.4
series was the Caproni Ca.42
of 1918. The engines were increased to larger Isotta-Fraschini, Fiat, or Liberty types for extra lifting capacity. Twenty-three were completed and six were supplied to the R.N.A.S. (where they were on hand April-May 1918), but the RNAS planes did not fly combat missions and were returned to Italy after the Armistice. The Ca.42 was too slow for daylight bombing and quickly moved to night bombing missions instead.
Though the prototype had been flight-tested in 1916, G.Caproni had difficulties in getting the Italian government to commit to building these large triplanes, since they preferred to stick with the well-known Caproni Ca.3. The choice of the Isotta Fraschini V5 was also a blocker, because the engine ran into production problems, and the Fiat A.12 had to be used as an alternative. The first were delivered as unarmed trainers in May 1917, but it wasn't until February 1918 that the type was first used operationally. The RNAS purchased six for use in anti-submarine patrol out of Otranto, in the heel of Italy. The USA expressed interest and put in an order for 250 to be built by Curtiss, but after learning that the Italians were switching to the Caproni Ca.5
, the Americans followed suit and cancelled their triplane orders.
This plane comes in multiple scales. The smaller models do not include propeller blades because they are difficult to print at small scales, and 1:500 and smaller do not linclude crew. 1:500 to 1:700 scale includes two aeroplanes, joined by disposable links.
PA12 material is recommended for the smaller scales.
For more information and gaming details see https://linen.miraheze.org/wiki/Caproni_Ca.42