Catalog (click here)
Recommended island to build a Korean War-era USS Ticonderoga CV-14 from any World War Two-era straight-deck Lindberg 1/525 scale Essex class aircraft carrier kit.
This model represents the SCB-27 modernized island of Essex class aircraft carrier USS Ticonderoga CV-14 as it appeared circa 1953-1954. Accurate and highly detailed, this SCB-27 island offers the modeler an attractive alternative to scratch-building or altering the plastic kit's island parts.
With minor modifications, it can be adapted to represent other Korean War-era straight-deck Essex class carriers.
Note: when the Essex class islands were modernized, they were made shorter at the aft end. This island, true to the original, is accurately shorter than the World War Two-era kit's parts. Some adjustment of the plastic kit's flight deck parts may be needed for best fit.
Click here for cleaning and painting advice.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.
- fully assembled
- open bridge and PriFly windows with delicate framing
- details consistent with photos of the actual ship
- decks properly offset to port, they should NOT be centered on the island
- properly shaped decks and deck features
- accurately shaped SPN-8 radar platform and dome aft of the island
- battle lookout details
- flag lockers and splinter shielding shape specific to Ticonderoga
- deck supporting structure details accurately positioned as confirmed by photos of the real ship
- delicate exterior piping detail and routing specific for Ticonderoga
- porthole rigols ("eyebrows")
- open doors, ready for your favorite photo-etch doors
- door overhead chevron-shaped rain deflectors
- open funnel cap (grille not included), ready for your favorite photoetch set
From Wikipedia: "Officially, Ship Characteristics Board Program 27 proper referred to the completion of Oriskany, left unfinished at war's end, to a heavily revised design; reconstructions of earlier ships were programs SCB-27A and 27C. The SCB-27 modernization was very extensive, requiring some two years for each carrier. To handle the much heavier, faster aircraft of the early jet-era, the flight deck structure was significantly reinforced, able to support aircraft weighing up to 52,000 pounds (23,587 kg), namely the North American AJ Savage. Stronger and larger elevators, much more powerful catapults, and new Mk 5 arresting gear were installed. The original four twin 5-inch/38 gun mounts were removed, clearing the flight deck of guns. The new five-inch gun battery consisted of eight weapons, two on each quarter beside the flight deck. Twin 3-inch/50 gunmounts replaced the 40 mm guns, offering much greater effectiveness through the use of proximity fuzed ammunition. The reconstruction eliminated the difference between "short-hull" and "long-hull" ships; all now had similar clipper bows.
"The island was completely redesigned, made taller, but shorter in overall length....In addition, the boiler uptakes were rebuilt and angled aft to accommodate a single radar and communications mast atop the island.
"Despite the drastic alteration of the carriers' appearance, the SCB-125 refit involved relatively little modification of the ships' existing structure compared to SCB-27, and took around six to nine months as against the approximately two years of the earlier program. The original SCB-27A vessels, which were fitted with a pair of H 8 hydraulic catapults, were not upgraded with the C 11 steam catapults fitted to their SCB-27C sister ships due to machinery space limitations. The SBC-27As also did not receive the enlarged No. 1 (forward) elevator installed in the 27C ships as part of SBC-125 [flight deck modified to an angled-deck design].
"The first three 27C ships (Hancock, Intrepid and Ticonderoga) had had their No 3 elevators moved from the centerline to the starboard deck edge, in a position relatively far aft. The next three (Shangri-La, Lexington and Bon Homme Richard), which underwent 27C and 125 concurrently, had the elevator relocated to a deck-edge position farther forward, and this location was used for the 27A ships as they in turn underwent SCB-125."