Catalog (click here)
This model represents the post-1944 refit "long-bridge" island of the Essex class aircraft carrier USS Yorktown CV-10 as it appeared from late 1944 through 1945. During this refit, the forward-most Bofors tub was removed, the pilot house and flag bridge were enlarged by extending them forward, and the starboard-side 20mm Oerlikon platforms were enlarged to include positions for three Mk.51 Bofors directors.
This design captures features specific to USS Yorktown, differing from other 3D-printed Essex class island designs available separately.
- fully assembled
- scaled dimensions match official US Navy Booklet of General Plans drawings for USS Antietam CV-36, as well as scaled drawings by John Roberts appearing in "Anatomy of the Ship: The Aircraft Carrier Intrepid", with details adjusted to match high-resolution photos of USS Yorktown CV-10
- splinter shielding and deck shape for the navigating bridge are accurate to USS Yorktown's unique shape
- accurately shaped, detailed and positioned doors of three different types with chevron-shaped rain deflector detail (most doors are positioned open)
- accurately sized and positioned open portholes, of two different sizes, with rigol ("eyebrow") details
- accurately shaped decks and catwalks
- deck supporting structure details accurately positioned as confirmed by photos of the real ships
- open battle lookouts
- subtly curved funnel caps
- open uptakes completely through the island, with correct bend in rear uptake
- open flag lockers
- accurate exterior cabling detail
- Bofors tubs spent shell casing chutes
- formation lights on searchlight platform splinter shield
- funnel access scuttle
- exterior steam pipes for ship's whistles
- starboard-side incinerator pipe
- venturi (wind deflector) on splinter shield around the pilot house
- subtle, raised locator discs on decks and platforms to aid on the placement of 40mm Bofors mounts, 20mm Oerlikon guns and searchlights (Bofors, Oerlikons and searchlights are not included)
- integrated tripod mast with ship's bell
Please view renderings in the carousel to see where to position your plastic or resin kit's (or other aftermarket) Mk.51 directors on the starboard-side 20mm Oerlikon platforms. Mk.51 directors are not included with this 3D-printed island.
Please visit ShipCamouflage.com to learn which colors are correct for your model (click here).
This model is scaled to represent the features of the actual ship based on the best, authoritative references available. It is NOT a 3D-printed copy of any metal, plastic or resin kit's parts therefore it may be sized and shaped differently than the parts in your plastic or resin kit. Some adjustment to your kit's parts or other aftermarket sets such as photo etch or wood decks may be needed for best fit.