After a year of so of reiterating (38 reiterations, including 5 major ground-up revisions), I've finally made a model that I'm proud to share.
Same premise as before: Holds a Knowles TWFK/SWFK and a 9-10mm dynamic driver. It'll also hold smaller BAs with a dab of glue/blutak to prevent it from rattling around (the BA chamber is designed so that it won't fall through).
*note: These versions do not come with "pre-drilled" holes for cables, they are meant for other DIY options. Please see here
for pre-designed holes.
- No more cavities
The case is SOLID except driver chambers and sound bores. No more leaks and echoes.
- Integrated Knowles damper slots
separately for the BA and dynamic units. Use a smidge of glue to secure them. Which leads us to...
- Tubeless design
Sound bores are fully integrated into the shell, no more fiddling around with silicone tubes.
- Horn-bore chamber for the BA
Similar principles as CA's TAEC. This helps emphasize the highs for some sweet extension. (can see this in the photo as well)
- Fillet-ed to hell and back
Smooth as a baby's bottom. No sharp corners to irritate your ears.
- Refined 3D design process
This is really more of a boon for Shapeways - printability is like 9001x more consistent, and the STL files are tiny now, I can fit both models into one upload easily. Helps save some 'processing' costs.
+ some sweet internal wiring channels
Please note before ordering:
I would love to hear your feedback! If anything pleases or displeases you, or have requests such as other Shapeways materials, please let me know! I wish to improve and create better products for the community :)
*minor update 23/10: improved nozzle area to community feedback; now has improved tips compatibility, comfort and strength (no breakages before, either, just did it while I was in there editing anyway).
- It is super highly recommended that you 'finish' the outside of the model with a layer or 2 of hard UV-resistant varnish/lacquer. It really solidifies the structure, stops further 'curing' (which makes things brittle after a few months), and plugs up pores. Some workarounds to flaws of 3D printing.
- These models have a dynamic driver side height restriction of ~3.54mm (see photo). My faceplates add another 0.5mm z-height, so that gets you ~4.2mm clearance. I will make a taller version it if there's demand.
- Have a small filer ready (jewelry polishing kits can be gotten for ~$2 on certain sites). Sometimes the print will be a little thicker than usual, making the fit a little too snug. It should not happen since I have added like 0.3mm buffer to this model, but sometimes shit happens.
- Large cutouts for 2-pin/mmcx sockets have been abandoned for non-removable wiring. These models are crazy space efficient, mmcx and 2-pin female assemblies take way too much space. + it adds some annoying issues for you, the builder. These are designed for cables where you pass it through a hole and knot it, as with 99% of oem designs. If you really need to add removable cable sockets, have to go at it with a tiny dremel/drill.
- Buy with faceplates (separately), or DIY with wood/carbonfiber/cork/anything!
- Fits 3.5-4.2mm diameter wax guards optional but recommended.
- Insertion "tube" OD is 4.95mm Choose eartips accordingly.
- Insert and secure dampers before installing drivers. Choose your dampers first, they are not easily changed! (generally I recommend brown for the BAs and brown/yellow/red for the dynamics).
- Be very careful with installation if you order steel/other metal materials. They might short out.