Phantom 1.5 Conversion Instructions are available at Instructables.com to make your conversion easy.
Using a Phantom 1.5 in 2018
DJI's newest drone offerings bristle with high-tech sensors and proprietary batteries – making them almost impossible to modify. The short landing gear and bottom anti-collision sensors on these drones make it clear – newer drones are not
designed to carry a custom payload. If you want to attach custom camera gear like a 360 VR camera – or a GoPro – you'll have a challenge. But the trusty Phantom 1.5
(a modified DJI Phantom 1 released in 2013) with its manual controls allow you to choose and fly the equipment you
want. Pick up a used Phantom 1, and upgrade with the Phantom 1.5 40mm Battery Door Kit
, and create a customizable airborn camera platform with up to 25 minutes of flight time. Instead of $100+ DJI batteries, use non-proprietary Phantom 1.5 batteries. So you'll be able to enjoy more flight time from your battery budget.
Use the original Phantom 1.5 battery door solution, the 40mm Battery Door v2
with a Phantom 2 Replacement Shell* to convert your stock Phantom 1 into a Phantom 1.5 with flight times up to 25 minutes – matching the Phantom 2 or Phantom 3
. With the 40mm Battery Door v2,
your upgraded Phantom 1.5 can take standard XT60 large high-capacity batteries OR twin stock Phantom XT60 2200mah batteries in parallel providing maximum powering flexibility, and dramatically increase flight times. Mount the stock USB/LED board in the door and then just snap the 40mm Battery Door
in the place designed for the DJI Intelligent Battery on the Phantom 2 shell, and enjoy ultra-low operating costs and flight times matching the Phantom 2, but without the expensive DJI proprietary Intelligent Battery.
This model is not compatible with the Phantom FC40. For DJI Phantom FC40 owners, check out the new DJI Phantom 1.5 FC40 40mm Battery Door
The 40mm Battery Door
pays attention to detail with a standard polished finished
that more closely matches the Phantom's shell than unpolished plastics options, and weighs less than 14 grams!
In addition, the 40mm Battery Door
provides an External USB Port
and a 360 degree view of the Flight Status Light
from the ground. Plug your USB cable into the External USB Port on the back of the door to conveniently update your NAZA. The external port eliminates the Phantom 1’s onboard stock internal USB cable saving 10g of extra weight and adding convenience. The relocated Flight Status Light also allows enhances safety by allowing you to see the battery status from any direction on the ground – instead of just the back of the original Phantom 1.
New Battery Options: HobbyKing's West Coast Warehouse
offers the compact MultiStar High Capacity 3S 5200mAh XT60 Multi-Rotor Lipo Pack
. With a higher power-to-weight ratio than larger batteries, this battery is optimized for flight time. The battery comes with a XT-60 connector on it, so it's plug-and-play.
• No proprietary batteries!
• Use standard XT60 batteries
in flexible configurations:
- Single XT60 5200mah battery*
- Use stock Phantom XT60 2200mah batteries* in a parallel configuration
- With high power-to-weight ratio 5200mah batteries flight times up to 25 minutes
with DJI 9" props
• Features External USB Port for easy NAZA firmware updates
• Features - 360 Degree Flight Status Light Location visible from any direction on the ground
• For the price of one DJI Intelligent Battery, you can buy four XT60 5200mah batteries
• No soldering, cutting or alteration of the parts are required. Upgrade uses stock screws and fasteners.
Additional Parts Sold Separately:
• DJI Phantom 2 Replacement Shell
• 4-pin Male-to-Female Jumper Wire Extension for relocating the Phantom's Flight Status Light/USB Port inside the Battery Bay 40mm Extension 4-pin Male-to-Female Jumper Wire Extension available here
• XT60 Parallel Y-Adapter (for parallel configurations)
• Screwdriver set (including hex, and Phillips tips)
• Prop wrench if you don't have self-tightening props (came with the original Phantom)
• Tape to mark motors and motor arms
• Small amount of electrical tape to insulate the remote control receiver
No soldering, cutting or alteration of the parts is needed. Uses stock screws and fasteners.
• Be sure to recalibrate the compass on the Phantom before first flight
*Sold separately and not included
© 2014 Brian Self Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
This product ONLY for Phantom 1.0 or 1.1.1's that are upgraded with a Phantom 2 shell*. This model is NOT compatible with Phantom FC40. See separate listing for DJI Phantom 1.5 FC40 40mm Battery Door
While every effort has been made to insure the highest quality, and correct instructions, Brian Self Design provides the kit as-is. By installing the 40mm Battery Door, you agree that you remain fully responsibility for the airworthiness, safe operation and use of the upgraded DJI Phantom. Each pilot must verify the safety of their aircraft prior to take-off and maintain safe operations during flight. If at any time a concern develops about the airworthiness of a craft, it is the recommendation of Brian Self Design that the aircraft be grounded until all matters are fully resolved before flights resume.
Brian Self Design cannot be responsible for any accidental damage that may occur to the Phantom or parts during installation.
Comments or Questions:
Please feel free to leave any comments or questions about the product below.