Solid, no moving parts.
Solid, no moving parts.
The STG 45(M) ( Sturmgewehr 45 literally "storm rifle" or "assault rifle 1945") sometimes referred to as the MP 45(M), was a prototype assault rifle developed by Mauser for the Wehrmacht at the end of World War II , using an innovative roller-delayed blowback operating system. It fired the 7.92×33mm Kurz (or "Pistolenpatrone 7.9mm") intermediate cartridge at a cyclic rate of around 450 rounds per minute.
The early Mauser Gerät 06H prototype assault rifle.
The origin of this rifle can be traced back to the final years of World War II when Mauser engineers at the Light Weapon Development Group ( Abteilung 37 ) at Oberndorf am Neckar designed the MKB GERäT 06 ( Maschinenkarabiner Gerät 06 or "machine carbine instrument 06") prototype assault rifle chambered for the intermediate 7.92×33mm Kurz cartridge, first with the GERäT 06 model using a roller-locked short recoil mechanism originally adapted from the MG 42 machine gun, but with a fixed barrel and conventional gas-actuated piston rod. It was realized that with careful attention to the mechanical ratios, the gas system could be omitted. The resultant weapon, the GERäT 06H (the "H" suffix is an abbreviation for halbverriegelt or "half-locked") was assigned the designation STG 45(M) ( Sturmgewehr 45(M) ).
However, the design required that the bolt move while the bullet was still in the barrel and the spent case fully pressurized. Traditional chambers resulted in separated case heads during testing. The solution was to "flute" the chamber; longitudinal grooves were cut into the chamber to allow combustion gasses to float the neck and front of the case and assist in extraction. During the process, the case would be scorched in a manner which was characteristic for later Heckler "> The CEAM Modèle 1950 , a French effort to put the StG 45(M) concept into mass production. Chambered in .30 Carbine .
The German technicians involved in developing the Sturmgewehr 45 continued their research in France at CEAM . The StG45 mechanism was modified by Ludwig Vorgrimler and Theodor Löffler at the Mulhouse facility between 1946 and 1949. Three versions were made, chambered in .30 Carbine , 7.92×33mm Kurz as well as the 7.65×35mm cartridge developed by Cartoucherie de Valence and adopted in 1948. A 7.5×38mm cartridge using a partial aluminium bullet was abandoned in 1947. Löffler's design, designated the CARABINE MITRAILLEUSE MODèLE 1950 , was retained for trials among 12 different prototypes designed by CEAM, MAC , and MAS . Vorgrimler later went to work at CETME in Spain and developed the line of CETME automatic rifles.
Germany eventually purchased the license for the CETME design and manufactured the Heckler