Catalog (click here)
This model represents the island of Forrestal class aircraft carrier USS Saratoga CV-60 as it appeared circa early 1958, about two years after commissioning. The Forrestal class was the world's first "super carriers". Click here for valuable reference photos of USS Saratoga CV-60, the second ship of the Forrestal class.
This model is designed from official US Navy drawings to match features and dimensions of the actual ship. Therefore, it may be sized and shaped differently than your plastic kit's parts. Some adjustment of your kit's parts or other aftermarket products such as photo-etch may be needed for best fit.
Click here for cleaning and painting advice.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.
- overall dimensions from official US Navy drawings
- solid navigating bridge, flag bridge and primary flight control station "prifly" windows with correct wiper motor detail for 1958
- accurately positioned portholes for the signal shelter on the 09 level
- accurately positioned battle lookout ports, fore and aft
- highly detailed doors of 2 types fixed to the bulkheads in the open position, and one closed door
- exterior cabling detail correct for 1958
- detailed and textured starboard side intake vents
- accurately shaped decks, platforms, catwalks and splinter shields properly located specific to 1958
- SPN-8 radar dome
- lower portion of the swing-down mast fixed to the superstructure (does not move) with hinge detail at the base, with small locator dimple to aid in attaching your kit's mast
- open funnel uptakes
- diesel generator exhausts between funnel uptakes
- sloped funnel cap, correct for 1958
February 1, 1958 - October 1, 1958 (Mediterranean Sea) aboard USS Saratoga (CVA 60)
To help you know which aircraft are correct for this period, SeaForces.org reports that "Super Sara" embarked Carrier Air Group (CVG) 3 in 1958, composed of:
Fighter Squadron 31 (VF-31) ‘Tomcatters’ - F3H-2 Demon
Fighter Squadron 32 (VF-32) ‘Swordsmen’ - F8U-1 Crusader
Attack Squadron 34 (VA-34) ‘Blue Blasters’ - A4D-1 Skyhawk
Attack Squadron 35 (VA-35) ‘Black Panthers’ - AD-6 Skyraider
Heavy Attack Squadron 9 (VAH-9) ‘Hoot Owls’ - A3D-2 Skywarrior
Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron 12 (VAW-12) ‘Bats’ - AD-5W Skyraider
All-Weather Attack Squadron 33 (VA(AW)-33) ‘Night Hawks’ - AD-5N Skyraider
Light Photographic Squadron 62 (VFP-62) ‘Fighting Photos’ - F9F-8P Cougar
Helicopter Utility Squadron 2 (HU-2) ‘Fleet Angels’ - HUP-2 Retriever
Model aircraft are NOT included with this island.