You must be logged in and verified to contact the designer.
This device has been fully tested and it will successfully hold $2 in standard US quarters, and encapsulates them in a single piece with 5 interlocking parts. It is sized to fit into a standard wallet's bill-fold, and while it does take up some space - it will only be bulky in the most completely stuffed wallets.
Since the quarter holder folds up it can be conveniently stored in many locations, such as a glove compartment, a center console, a cup holder, a purse, or a laptop bag. Most coins today have very little utility any more - when's the last time you really needed a dime or a nickel? Quarters are still often the unique and specific barrier to you getting that candy bar, soda, or entertaining horse ride for your child. So when you do need a quarter - you really need one. Having a lot of quarters on hand is silly - but 8 quarters seemed just the right number since many dispensers can require as much as $2 of quarters for a product on the high end.
So leave your paper money at home and make sure instead to keep some quarters on hand at all times. Version 4.0 is currently slated to have the following benefits:
- Thinner everything. We eyeballed it the first time but we'll design it to the absolute limits of what Shapeways allows without compromising the integrity of the plastic for the next build.
- Side entry rather than front entry for the quarters to have greater friction on removal and prevent them from accidentally popping out.
- 3D printed interlocking mesh rather than joints. Think...chain mail...but lighter.
- More quarters - by switching to a mesh we should be able to fit in another 2-4 quarters.
- We always mark up a flat 40% so the price will drop.
So bookmark this page and stay tuned for Version 4.0!