You must be logged in and verified to contact the designer.
This is a 00 Scale model of 1846 Furness Railway locomotive Coppernob, now preserved in the National Railway Museum. Combined with the Coppernob Tender (separately available), this scratch aid enables a complete motorised model engine (or with the unpowered ‘Bury tender’ a free-rolling unpowered model).
This model originated as a jumbo-ised N Gauge engine, suitably altered to 00 operative tolerances and to fit proprietary parts (notably the tender wheelbase for motorising), enabling simple construction. Many details not included in the original N Gauge version have been added in this 00 scratch aid to provide a ‘complete’ ready-to-paint model for beginners, capturing the charm of the prototype. These can be replaced by more expert scratch-builders if desired.
IMPORTANT: while most models available here have been pre-tested and known to work, this scratch-aid has not been printed/tested by myself, so while the measurements appear correct it is considered strictly experimental.
(Note: various materials are provided, however, WSF and BSF will require more preparation for smooth painting that FUD and FED.)
While most of the engine is provided, the following parts have been omitted due to fragility, clearances or the need to sand the printed model:
• Buffers (locating holes provided)
• Loco-tender coupling
• Sand pipes (locating holes provided)
• Reverser rod
• Wheel guards
• Smokebox dart
• Wire handrails (NB no locating points are provided as it depended on the thickness of wire used)
The following additional parts need to be sourced separately to complete:
• 18.5mm diameter driving wheels (including flange; without c.16.5mm as per the Alan Gibson catalogue – slightly underscale but due to the scale splashers)
• 3mm diameter axles
• 31mm length coupling rods (for 0-4-0)(These all appear on the current Alan Gibson catalogue)
I hope you enjoy this unusual and eye-catching model