You must be logged in and verified to contact the designer.
Cardington in Bedfordshire, England became one of the World's best airship facilities. Due to the economic depression of the post war years, the Airship station was closed in 1921 after the construction of the R38 and the scrapping of the R37. However the station was reopened in 1924 following the announcement of the Imperial Airship Service and the undertaking of the construction of, amongst others, the R101. For communications, a wireless station and Cardington control tower was constructed in 1928 behind the Administration block. Additionally, this huge airship mast was constructed for the civil programme in 1926. 202 feet high and 70 feet in diameter at the base, the tower was the first ever cantilever mooring mast to be built. It was demolished in 1943 to provide materials to help the war effort. The R100 flew from this mast on her successful round trip to Montreal, Canada in July and August of 1930. The R101 flew her tests flights from the mast and then cast off from here on her final voyage on October 1st the same year. Similar masts were built in Ismailia in Egypt, Karachi in nortwestern India and at Saint Hubert Airfield, Montreal.