This modification adds an interchangeable bit holder to your Leatherman FREE P4, P2 or T2.
See the video at the end of this page for details, and how to install this mod.
- Fits the proprietary Leatherman Flat Bits.
- 1/4 inch hex perpendicular wrench.
- Holds the bits using spring retention. No magnets needed. Ready to install out of the box.
- Compatible with the Leatherman Bit Driver Extender for further reach.
- Available in three different finishes.
- "Bronzed-Silver Steel" is recommended for the closest match to the tool finish.
This user-installed modification replaces the Philips and Prytool implements on the tool. You may also replace other tools if you wish, as long as the total stack-up height of the tool is maintained.
Made from stainless steel with a bronze binding agent
. This holder will work with the magnetic catch inside the Leatherman Free series. Once installed, the tool folds into the frame of the FREE series tool, including any attached bit.
The parts are made by a bonding stainless steel powder. The resulting part is sintered and impregnated with bronze to fully meld the two metals together. Because a powder is used: Some internal areas of the part may end up with stuck powder that needs to be cleared away using drill bits or files. If your part has an excessive amount of stuck powder, or filled holes, contact Shapeways with a photo of your part for a replacement.
The part is similar to a casting, and shrinks a small amount during processing. The CAD model has been designed to compensate for this, but some manual filing may be needed on some parts if the parts fit too tight or bind. Use a needle file to clean up any burrs or places that are sticking. The material is stainless steel, so diamond needle files may be required.
The mounting hole may require reaming using a drill bit capable of handling stainless steel. A 1/8" or 3.2mm drill bit may be used for this task.
Adjusting the fit of the bits:
The spring arms may be a bit tight upon first use. They can be adjusted by prying them outward a small amount. For a guide on doing this see my prototype video here
The tool must be taken apart to install this modification. Any warranty concerns are entirely up to the user.
How ordering from Shapeways Works:
- You will need two Torx T9 bits to remove the screws holding the tool together.
- The screws need to be loosened by holding one side with a bit, and turning the other side.
- The screws are secured using thread-locking compound, and heat may be required to loosen the compound.
- Care should be taken to open the tool on a clean surface.
- Silicone based lubricant may be added during assembly.
- The tightness of the tool will depend on the amount of torque you apply during reassembly.
I am the part designer, and I receive a fixed portion of the total order. Shapeways.com handles the part production and shipping based on your order input.
Shipping costs and any other related fees are controlled by Shapeways.com:
Shipping time and costs
I cannot customize, alter or process any returns after your order has been placed. All post-sales issues must be handled through Shapeways customer service.
Leaving any text in the "Personal Message" box will be printed on a gift card included with your shipment. I do not see these messages.