Catalog (click here)
Not yet for sale. This model is in design.
This model represents the "long-bridge" island of the Essex class aircraft carrier USS Ticonderoga CV-14 as it appeared from April, 1944 through 1945. Ticonderoga as-built differed from her elder sisters. She was completed without the forward-most Bofors tub, she had an enlarged flag plot (flag bridge), the shape of the mast-top radar platform was narrower but longer aft, and the starboard-side 20mm Oerlikon platforms were longer to include positions for three Mk.51 Bofors directors.
The island was in this configuration during the Philippine Campaign and later aerial attacks on Kure Naval Base contributing to the sinkings of the battleships Ise, Hyūga, and Haruna, the escort carrier Kaiyō, and two heavy cruisers.
This design captures features specific to USS Ticonderoga, differing from other 3D-printed Essex class aircraft carrier island designs available separately.
- fully assembled
- scaled dimensions match official US Navy Booklet of General Plans drawings for USS Antietam CV-36, as well as scaled drawings by John Roberts appearing in "Anatomy of the Ship: The Aircraft Carrier Intrepid", with details adjusted to match photos of USS Ticonderoga CV-14
- splinter shielding and deck shape for the navigating bridge are accurate to USS Ticonderoga
- accurately shaped, detailed and positioned doors of three different types with chevron-shaped rain deflector detail (most doors are positioned open)
- accurately sized and positioned open portholes, of two different sizes, with rigol ("eyebrow") details
- accurately shaped decks and catwalks
- deck supporting structure details accurately positioned as confirmed by photos of the real ships
- open battle lookouts
- subtly curved funnel caps
- open uptakes completely through the island, with correct bend in rear uptake
- open flag lockers
- accurate exterior cabling detail
- Bofors tubs spent shell casing chutes
- formation lights on searchlight platform splinter shield
- funnel access scuttle
- exterior steam pipes for ship's whistles
- starboard-side incinerator pipe
- venturi (wind deflector) on splinter shield around the pilot house
- subtle, raised locator discs on decks and platforms to aid on the placement of 40mm Bofors mounts, 20mm Oerlikon guns and searchlights (Bofors, Oerlikons and searchlights are not included)
- integrated tripod mast with ship's bell
Please view renderings in the carousel to see where to position your plastic or resin kit's (or other aftermarket) Mk.51 directors on the starboard-side 20mm Oerlikon platforms. Mk.51 directors are not included with this 3D-printed island.
This model is scaled to represent the features of the actual ship based on the best, authoritative references available. It is NOT a 3D-printed copy of any metal, plastic or resin kit's parts therefore it may be sized and shaped differently than the parts in your plastic or resin kit. Some adjustment to your kit's parts or other aftermarket sets such as photo etch or wood decks may be needed for best fit.