Catalog (click here)
Recommended to build a more accurate USS Hornet CV-12 from:
This model represents the as-built island of the Essex class aircraft carrier USS Hornet CV-12, the "short bridge" configuration, as it appeared circa November, 1943 through June, 1945. Essex class islands during this time carried three Bofors tubs, two forward and one aft.
The island was in this configuration during 16 months of nearly continuous combat operations including raids on Majuro Atoll and New Guinea, the Battle of the Philippine Sea ("Great Marianas Turkey Shoot"), sinking of the aircraft carrier Hiyo, the Battle of Leyte Gulf, and the sinking of the super-battleship Yamato.
This design captures features specific to USS Hornet, differing from other 3D-printed Essex class aircraft carrier island designs available separately.
- fully assembled
- scaled dimensions match official US Navy Booklet of General Plans drawings for USS Antietam CV-36, as well as scaled drawings by John Roberts appearing in "Anatomy of the Ship: The Aircraft Carrier Intrepid", with details adjusted to match 1943-early 1945 photos of USS Hornet CV-12
- accurately shaped, detailed and positioned doors of three different types with chevron-shaped rain deflector detail (most doors are positioned open)
- accurately sized and positioned open portholes with rigol ("eyebrow") details
- accurately shaped decks and catwalks
- deck supporting structure details accurately positioned as confirmed by photos of the real ships
- open battle lookouts
- subtly curved funnel caps
- open uptakes completely through the island, with correct bend in rear uptake
- open flag lockers
- accurate exterior cabling detail
- Bofors tubs spent shell casing chutes
- formation lights on searchlight platform splinter shield
- funnel access scuttle
- exterior steam pipes for ship's whistles
- starboard-side incinerator pipe
- open venturis (wind deflectors) on navigating bridge and air defense deck splinter shields
- subtle, raised locator discs on decks and platforms to aid on the placement of 40mm Bofors mounts, 20mm Oerlikon guns and searchlights (Bofors, Oerlikons and searchlights are not included)
- integrated tripod mast with ship's bell
Please visit ShipCamouflage.com to learn which colors are correct for your model (click here).
This model is scaled to represent the features of the actual ship based on the best, authoritative references available. It is NOT a 3D-printed copy of any metal, plastic or resin kit's parts therefore it may be sized and shaped differently than the parts in your plastic or resin kit. Some adjustment to your kit's parts or other aftermarket sets such as photo etch or wood decks may be needed for best fit.