The Sikorsky S-16 was a small fighter meant to escort the Ilya Mourmetz giant bombers on their attacks. It was built by Sikorsky's company Russio-Baltiisky Vagonny Zavod
, or R-BVZ; later renamed the Russo-Baltic Aircraft Plant (Avia-Balt). Though only produced in small numbers, it was an important and well-liked plane for Russia, though its production was held back by limited supplies (and limited horsepower) of rotary engines. The first of three prototypes was completed in January 1915, but the production series was not deployed until about a year later. They served from 1915 through the Russian Civil War, fully retiring only in 1924. The S-16 flew with wheels, skis, and a wide variety of guns. It could be flown as a single-seater or an observer could come along, squeezing in uncomfortably behind the pilot.
This version depicts an S-16 with a pilot and observer, and a top-wing Lewis machine gun, and skis in flying horizontal position. For 1:285/6mm/1:288 scale, see the version with wheels.
Related Sikorsky S-16s: 1/144 with wheels
, 1/144 with skis (resting)
, 1/144 with skis (flying)
For more details and gaming information, see https://linen.miraheze.org/wiki/Sikorsky_S-16