Afterburner nossle detail parts for 1:48 Testors SR-71, A-12 Oxcart and YF-12 kits
. This detail set is to add detail to the afterburner. 1:48 SR-71 Cutting Edge exhaust parts are now extremely hard to find. This is an alternative to the cutting edge parts but it does not include the final exhaust nossle.
Assembly is very simple but modifications must be made to some of the original kit parts. Assemble as follows and use the photo gallary for reference. If you get stuck, you can always message me for help!
- Wash the parts thoroughly and wet-and-dry sand the exhaust tubes with 1000 grit paper.
- Paint the parts prior to assembly and ensure the mating surfaces of the exhaust tubes and afterburner sections are masked prior to paint as the fit is very tight and any paint on the mating surfaces is likely to either prevent the parts fitting, or, be damaged at assembly.
- Cut out the original kit afterburner section (part numbers 29 and 37) and sand smooth. Follow the photos 3,4,5 and 6 to see how much to remove.
- Paint the inside surfaces of original afterburner section and fixed exhaust sections (part number 30 for both sides) and then assemble the three sections together.
- Carefully cut or sand off the injection mold protrusions on the inside of the engine halves at the tail ends before gluing the two halves together (much easier than once the two halves are joined though you may still be able to remove them with a sharp blade. Ensure you do not glue the inner halves as you will need to open this slightly to get the complete exhaust and afterburner section in (see photo 18 below).
- Fit the new complete afterburner assembly and once correctly positioned, glue the remaining parts of the kit engine halves together.