Zbrush Project

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by benttoenail, Nov 22, 2011.

1. benttoenail
    benttoenail New Member
    Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to Shapeways, and I'm working on a project for my nephew for Christmas. The piece I'm working on is a spaceship, which is being built in Zbrush, thus I plan on using the Zbrush 3D printer exporter to shoot it over to shapeways for printing.

I'm wondering what I should watch out for, i.e. polycount, subtools, file size, etc,. The deadline is coming up, and as I'm working on this project I'm getting increasingly nervous that when I send the file in it's going to be a huge mess to clean up. I'm not even sure how to use the 3D Export plugin in the first place!

If anyone could give me some tips / advice on this matter, you'll be making a 4 year old very, very happy.

Thanks!

-benttoenail

Attached Files:

2. pfeiffer stylez
    pfeiffer stylez New Member
    Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

polygon limit: 1 million
    ( if necessary: polygon reduction with MeshLab )

maximum file size: 64 MB

As far as I know zBrush can export models as STL files.
    netfabb (basic) is a good tool to check and repair STL files.

3. benttoenail
    benttoenail New Member
    Cool! I'm glad you let me know, I've got a lot of work to do.

Thanks pfeiffer

-max

4. spaceboy412
    spaceboy412 Member
    Hey, long time zbrusher here.
    Depending on the size you plan to print and the material you may want to bump up your detail just a little bit.
    One way to do that is to create a layer, then do a Deformation>polish or smooth, then go into the layer and move its intensity slider into the negative a small amount. You can always get rid of it if you don't like it.
    I suggest using Decimation master before you export, its really simple to use and you can easily get that model down below even 500k.
    I've had problems using the 3d exporter, especially with the .stl type. So i just did a normal save as .obj and then took that into Netfabb for checking, which depending on how you made the model may need fixing, you can also adjust the exact print size in netfabb, which is easier then trying to do it in zbrush because zbrush is really finicky about that and sometimes it doesn't update correctly.
    I uploaded .obj's to shapeways with no problem.

5. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    I agree with spaceboy's comments... and will add that I've had to use the 3D print exporter when desigining for full-colour models and exporting WRL files. The correct sizing can be obtained in ZBrush. Just PM me if you are doing this.

However, as spaceboy said, if you're not worrying about colour then it's often easier to export an OBJ file and re-size in another programme if you can.

Remember that when exporting an OBJ if you have many subtools it's best to merge them first - SAVE your work before doing this !!!!! (experience!)

Glenn

6. benttoenail
    benttoenail New Member
    I've been using Zbrush for quite some time so I'm pretty familiar with it, just not the 3D exporting part. After reading your message, it seems as if you can get the polypaint info printed as well. All you have to do is export as a WRL with the 3D export plugin?

7. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Yes and no. It's not quite as black and white as that. I have posted some detailed instructions in these forums (as have others) if you want to have a search. If you can't find anything let me know. Exporting polypainted vertices is easier than exporting texture maps.

Glenn