Your Ideas Needed: Shapeways Magazine + Shapeways Collective

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by LinnemanAngela, Apr 21, 2017.

1. LinnemanAngela
    LinnemanAngela Shapeways Employee Community Team
    Today, we have a couple of important updates for the community, and we need your feedback and ideas to make them great. We "soft launched" our updated blog format: Shapeways Magazine, and we're announcing the launch of the Shapeways Collective.

With Shapeways Magazine, we're introducing a new content experience to better serve your communities and provide an online gathering place for the people you love to create for and with. In a few days, after taking your feedback into account, we'll publicly introduce the new magazine.

We're also announcing the launch of the Shapeways Collective, an opportunity to become a leader in the communities you love, and expand your involvement in developing 3D printing applications for those communities. Like Shapeways Magazine, the Collective will need your participation and input to be all that it can be.

So, poke around the new Shapeways Magazine, check out the Shapeways Collective, and send us all the juicy feedback you've got. Just as with all we do, we can't do it without you.

virginia_gordon likes this.
  2. MichaelAtOz
    MichaelAtOz Well-Known Member
    Shapeways Collective, you will be assimilated, resistance is futile
    borg laser.jpg
    (Borg special configuration SLS4q7 - autonomous 3D laser sinterer)

Andrewsimonthomas and janet2 like this.
  3. pcola4
    pcola4 Member
    I purchased a 3d sculpture as a gift. The sculpture was displayed on a powered turntable to make it look like it was moving. What speed turntable do I need? I am having difficulty find one. Please send me an email with some ideas. Thanks.

4. PSIG
    PSIG Member
    Please include temperature info in the materials description for tech and mechanical applications. Items such as electric drive motor mounts must have known strength qualities at a reference temperature (often approaching 150C). If you would please add info at two points for tensile strength and modulus at perhaps 100C and 200C, we could at least extrapolate a rough curve to determine a particular material's capability or considerations. Even single spec's for the temperatures at 50% levels would be more useful than no spec's. Thanks!

5. kaadesign
    kaadesign Well-Known Member
  6. FreeRangeBrain
    FreeRangeBrain Active Member
    Please note that Shapeways materials are not engineering materials. Do not expect uniform or consistent performance. Do not rely on any specific properties or characteristics for engineering purposes.

Per their terms of service:

PLEASE NOTE THAT, UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED IN THE DESCRIPTION FOR A SPECIFIC MATERIAL, THE MATERIALS WE USE FOR MANUFACTURING THE 3D MODELS MAKE THE 3D MODELS SUITABLE ONLY FOR DECORATIVE PURPOSES AND THEY ARE NOT SUITED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE. THE 3D MODELS ARE NOT SUITED TO BE USED AS TOYS, OR TO BE GIVEN TO CHILDREN. THE 3D MODELS SHOULD NOT COME IN CONTACT WITH ELECTRICITY OR FOOD OR LIQUIDS AND SHOULD BE KEPT AWAY FROM HEAT.​

(Pardon the all-caps - that's them, not me.)

Beyond that, check the material data sheets. Just be very, very aware that if something goes wrong, you and you alone will be responsible for any outcomes.

This has been your Debbie Downer™ post du jour. Good luck, and happy hunting.