Yet Another Inverted Gyroid

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Schmiegel, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Schmiegel
    Schmiegel Member
    I am fascinated by Gyroid isosurfaces.
    Usually, for cost reasons ;), I explore objects virtually. So this is how it looks rendered using the wonderful Sunflow renderer. Some Porcelain shader applied.

0_Virtual.jpg

If I like it I'm facing the challenges of water tight object creation and wall thickness.
    As it was successful, a while ago my inverted Gyroid arrived in WSF, which is white as snow.

1_SnowWhiteFromSW.jpg

Do you think it's lacking depth? - I did.
    Now painting it very light blue was a big success as it looked like glacier ice! I really recommend light colours to highlight depth. Enjoy!

2_Blue.jpg

And finally! I ruined the thing by applying a transparent epoxy varnish that was not absolutely transparent - instead it was light brownish turning the Gyroid to a dirty green ball - duh!

No photo given ;)

Be careful when post processing!

Cheers,
    Florian

2. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    How nice! What a great tip. I'll definately try the whole light colour idea. Thank you!

-Whystler

3. Lovely material effect! Michiel

4. ChrisWilmer
    ChrisWilmer Member
    I don't understand... how did you apply that bluish color? A spray of some sort?

5. bartv
    bartv Member
    That is just amazing. I wonder if we should add a similar ultra-light color to our thumbnail rendere - it sometimes has problems showing details and depth as well!

Bart

6. Schmiegel
    Schmiegel Member
    @Chris Wilmer
    I was drenching the object in a bath of acrylic color diluted in water. The color tone was mixed from white and turquoise.
    But I think mixing a REALLY clear varnish with turquoise would make a great glossy surface too!

@bartv
    I would guess it does not improve the preview significantly because I believe the vivid real effect is based upon the color tone's intensity being multiplied while the light is reflected back and forth inside the object.
    I think the preview will be rendered without multiple reflections, transmissions and subsurface scattering ;)

Thanks guys!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  7. bartv
    bartv Member
    Good point :)

8. pp
    pp Member
    Very nice result!!!

Will do some testing my self to ... you got me inspired ;) thanks for that

With regards to the varnish... I had this to some time but is all depends on the base materials of the varnish. If you use a varnish based on "terpentine" (=Dutch, don't know the translation) it becomes kind of yellow-isch. The time after that I used a acrylic based varnish based. This has little to no color.

So maybe for next time

Thanks for sharing the pic's

Peter Paul

9. @PP: It translates into English as "turpentine". :p

@Schmiegel: I've mentioned it a few times in this forum already (I'm not obsessed - honest!), but this stuff may well be what you're after. Acrylic based, almost water-thin, dries to a tough finish and doesn't yellow.

Andy

10. pp
    pp Member
    Thanks for the translation ..... :blush: Google also didn't know it.... :rolleyes:

got a link to more info on the furniture wax you use?

would like to test

thanks
    Peter Paul

11. It's actually marketed as a floor polish. :p

This is the most in-depth article on the stuff that I've read, and it goes so far as to include a lot of alternative names under which it's marketed. I've never actually seen Klear in the shops, but I managed to get it through Amazon. That said, Future seems to be easily available in the States, so clearly popularity varies around the world.

Looks in the Dutch version's called either "Pronto Wax" or "Parket Plus". :)

Andy

12. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    This is a great article. Thanks for the info!

-Whystler

13. nervoussystem
    nervoussystem Member
    nice! want to share info on your nice porcelain shader?

14. Schmiegel
    Schmiegel Member
    @nervoussystem
    You'll already have seen the PM :)

Info is not secret, I'm willing to share, just not sure if this is the place to talk about renderers ... ?

@PP & Drawn-Steel Hero
    Thanks! No obsession presumed - IMHO this theme simply needs more noise - so it's welcome!

Thanks!

15. pp
    pp Member
    Hi,
    I have found something that might work.... will do some test later and let you know how it came out.

@ Schmiegel: Got some more info on the color you used? paint, mix etc...
    Would also like to do some test with.

16. Schmiegel
    Schmiegel Member
    Hi PP,

I'll try:
    - I used water based acrylic white - jar was about 7 cm high.
    - smallest jar with turquoise

Took a bowl that fitted the object as close as possible, poured in the white colour and added water so that object would be one third drenched in water - I assume the mixture was 1 part color and about 10 parts water. Better less water than more I guess - this mixture does not seal the object's surface.
    Added carefully drops of turqoise colour and mixed the dip until the whole bath still looked fairly white but the inside of bubbles appeared significantly bueish. You'll need to find a good balance here - be careful with adding color.

I twisted the object in the bowl for a while so that everything was coloured, then I let it dry on a tissue. You'll see the effect immediately - it didn't alter for me while drying - so if it goes wrong you might have a chance to wash off the colour while it's wet.

Good luck!
    Florian

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  17. pp
    pp Member
    Thanks a lot Florian!!

For sure I will try it..... I hoped it would have been a bit more simple though :p

Will show the results if it has sufficient quality ;)

Peter Paul

18. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    A couple of days ago, I did it too. Thanks for the inspiration Schmiegel!

I took a plastic cup and squirted a little bit of colour into it.

Then I squirted a lot more white into it.

I mixed these together at the bottom of the cup, and added more white and colour until it was a a very light pastel shade.

Then I added water to the cup until it was about 75% full and mixed it all up with a brush until I was sure it was totally uniform.

Then I dipped the model in, swished it around, and pulled it out and left it to dry on a paper towel.

You can save this for later, although I did notice that it separated because the colour floated to the top and the white to the bottom. I guess the white acrylic was heavier.

I suppose you could buy the acrylic colour already in a light pastel colour and then you wouldn't have to mix the paint itself.

-Whystler

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  19. Schmiegel
    Schmiegel Member
    @pp
    Looking forward to your results!

@Whystler
    I experienced the same - the color dip separated within a few hrs.

In Germany the shoppable palette of acrylic colors is very limited! Maybe though you find somebody mixing on demand - but wouldn't it separate too?

To summarize: Hope you did like the result of your coloring efforts!

Cheers,
    Florian

20. Schmiegel
    Schmiegel Member
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010