Wrong Part Shipped To Customer

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Disillusioned, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Disillusioned
    Disillusioned Member
    Hello CS Team,
    I just had another case where a customer has been shipped the wrong part. I assume that the parts are printed along side other orders from my shop of similar design and can get confused and swapped before shipping. So I expect a second customer to complain soon since they must have received the first customer's part.

This is the 3rd known case so far out of a large number of orders, so its not very frequent. However the damage it can do when a customer comments or creates a video with complaints on my store front or social media can be devastating. Especially if communication breaks down and those comments and videos remain.

I realize my products are very similar, and unless you are an expert on motorcycle helmets you may not be able to tell them apart. How does your production process verify the correct part is being sent? Is it visual comparison with the 3D model? Do you print order numbers in plastic next to the parts so when you pull them out you know which part is which? What is the process? I'd like to know for my curiosity.

How can I help here? Should I emboss or deboss part numbers on my models to make them easier to discern?

Thanks for your assistance and info. :)

2. jimmyadvice
    jimmyadvice Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hi @Disillusioned

Thanks for reaching out here.

Our part checking process does include a visual comparison to the 3D file, but if there are many similar parts in the same print build, some parts may be swapped inadvertently.

We use a labeling system, but we do not print or add numbers to the files or in the build.

If you have a lot of similar pieces, it does help to put some kind of identifying text or number embedded in the file so it prints with that information on the physical part.

Let us know if you have any other questions.