Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by goido, Nov 30, 2011.

1. goido
    goido New Member
    I was wondering what is the correct way to work with your model, I know that modelers are using Netfabb, meshlab and Blender to correct and upload files for 3d printing. Is there a particular order? I had a model with lots of overlapping and intersecting geometry that was fixed rather rapidely by a modeler,is there a particular workflow?

2. christopherlowe
    christopherlowe New Member
    as in most things there is not just one way to do things. some like to work in one way some in another.

there are really 3 fast and true rules
    1. minimum wall distance as per the material that you are printing in and...
    2. no 2 points, polygons, or lines may occupy the same space.
    - you can have overlapping "shells" or "objects"
    3. all shells or objects must be watertight.

3. goido
    goido New Member
    So intersecting is similar to inverted normals?
  4. christopherlowe
    not really. inverted normals would indicate a non watertight shell. either way that isn't good.

what i meant by non intersecting points is... say you have 2 shells but they have 1 polygon in common... that will make the printer go -bleh!

5. goido
    goido New Member
    Thanks, I will have to Google how to fix all this in Blender, I still I am not sure what is the difference between Meshlab and Netfabb in relation to uploading models to Shapeways.
  6. christopherlowe
    they will fix ill developed models. there are ways to fix these things in blender without them.
  7. goido
    goido New Member
    I got a green model in Netfabb ( fixed model) but it was bad for shapeways.