Will "fine Detail Plastic" Burn Out For Casting In Platinum.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Zews, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Zews
    Zews Member
  2. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    No! - Sand and fill your print and then make RTV molds for wax injection. -S

3. Zews
    Zews Member
    Do you speak from experience because you actually tried to burn out this material?

The fact that you suggest sanding and filing the print suggest that you may not have experience with this material, as the prints are pretty much perfect in every aspect.

RTV mold for wax injection is not an option as this is for one-of-a-kind pieces.

If burn out does not work Solidscape prints would be a better option.

4. gordonlardi
    gordonlardi Well-Known Member
    why not print wax models? then you can model your spru attached as well, thats what wax was meant for

5. gordonlardi
    gordonlardi Well-Known Member
    there are several online services that specialize in high quality wax printing for jewelry casting that will print your model in wax, SW used to but they decided to get out of that business

EvieL likes this.
  6. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    Do you speak from experience because you actually tried to burn out this material?

Well kinda, I would never expect a poly-carbonate like material to burn out anywhere near clean considering those pesky cross linked polymers, and I have learned from other madmen who actually tried it,.. and having made "green rubber' molds from the stuff I've seen how quickly it degrades under heat.

The fact that you suggest sanding and filing the print suggest that you may not have experience with this material, as the prints are pretty much perfect in every aspect.

The fact hat you think the prints need no post processing suggest you are the one lacking experience. The support material clouds and degrades the surface.

RTV mold for wax injection is not an option as this is for one-of-a-kind pieces.

Wax injection is done for one-offs all the time. Whatever it takes to get the a good clean bubble free casting.

If burn out does not work Solidscape prints would be a better option.

Yeah like something actually designed to burn out and leave good detail and carbon free mold surfaces.

7. Zews
    Zews Member
    Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately it does not answer my question.

8. Zews
    Zews Member
    I have used the Shapeways printed waxes when they were available. They were terrible with very rough layer height.

9. LarsEri
    LarsEri Member
    Can you tell me what services those are? I have been unable to find a 3D printing service that will produce wax prints. I think that they have all been discontinued.

10. Zews
    Zews Member
    Try 3dhubs.com

11. LarsEri
    LarsEri Member
    Thanks. 3DHubs do have castable resin SLA options designed to burn out, but not actually wax. I think actual wax printing may have been abandoned by the printing services as the prints are so fragile that they don't survive shipping. Castable resins probably result in a better result, but require a much more rigorous burn out as they have to be vaporized rather than melted.

12. Zews
    Zews Member
    Than find somebody who has either a Solidscape or a Formlabs printer.