Why Use Sprues On Fud?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by GlassYuri, May 7, 2017.

1. GlassYuri
    GlassYuri New Member
    Hello, I'd like to apologize if this was asked before but I tried a forum and web search for this but didn't find anything.

When looking through model rail detail parts on the marketplace I see that in most cases multiple pieces are sprued together. However, number of separate parts seems to have no effect on FUD pricing, so are these sprues really necessary? Is there any issue with loose parts that I'm not seeing?
    The only thing I can think of is meeting the minimum part size requirements or protecting details that might break off, but most models I'm looking at shouldn't have that issue.

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    To make life easier for the folks who have to extract semitransparent parts from semitransparent goo, and to make sure nothing gets lost between printer and parcel.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
    GlassYuri likes this.
  3. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    It all depends upon how big the part(s) are. I myself try to use the "thumb and forefinger" rule. If an item is large enough to be picked up with normal fingers without crushing it.. then I feel that I can leave the sprue off. But, if it is hyper-tiny items such as this model then they need to held together so that they can be handled as a single item.

GlassYuri likes this.
  4. railNscale
    railNscale Well-Known Member
    I only use sprues in case of very small parts, or in order to reinforce a fragile product, to prevent it from bending.
    Sprues are typically parts that get rejected by SW-rejection team because they are more likely to break. It also avoids the posssibility to orientate the various parts in an optimal position. However with the upcoming new pricing strategy of FUD I have to add sprues to keep the price of products reasonable. I think. But proper information is lacking here unfortunately.

5. MikeyBugs95
    MikeyBugs95 Well-Known Member
    I've also use sprues to keep everything all together. It helps with sorting and when the customer gets the product, they don't have to dig through the bag trying to get one small part. It also helps with painting and keeping the parts organized. As soon as the new pricing system comes into play in a few days I'll have to go through my models and see whats needs to be changed (hopefully not much).