Why Is My Design So Expensive To Print

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by Ravedog, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Ravedog
    Ravedog Member
    My design isn't that big and i'm selecting the cheapest material but its still like 300 dollars.

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Can you be a bit more specific (which material, what size, at least some general idea what the design is) ? Printing is a very time- and energy-consuming process, so things that appear "not big" in the context of common household items can turn out very expensive, especially when compared to injection-molded plastic parts where the manufacturing cost is spread over tens of thousands of copies. That said, one possibility is that your design is solid where a hollow part would work just as well and use much less material - this can also happen with a part that is designed with an interior void that is not connected to the outside.

3. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    What are you calling "not that big"? How big is it?

In the world of 3d printing, complexity and uniqueness are offset by the fact that it takes a LOT of electrical energy to run the machine. Things tthat are "reasonably" priced for the injection-molded world are pricey when printed in 3d.

We'd have to see some more of what your actual model is, or some dimensions for it, but I'm guessing that you're around a foot long and 4-5 inches in diameter.. that "big" in the 3dp world.

4. Ravedog
    Ravedog Member

5. Ravedog
    Ravedog Member
    x is 24cm y is 10cm and z 8cm and it is just a hollow box with walls .5 cm thick and 2 small 1 inch clips using the strong and flexible plastic

6. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    5mm walls is probably a bit more than necessary, and 24x10x8 unfortunately is quite big for something that is lasered together from specks of nylon dust. If this is a box with a lid, or just an open container ?

7. Oliver_Krangle
    Oliver_Krangle Well-Known Member
    You should consider making the box out of some other material like wood and just print the clips if possible. That's a huge box for 3D printing.

8. Ravedog
    Ravedog Member
    its just an open container

9. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    You can minimize cost by

thinning walls,

putting a matrix of through holes in the walls if possible,

rounding all 90 degree corners to a radius of about 20 millimeters,

or if you don't want rounded corners design the box so it it fold into a box, maybe using hinges and fasteners or glue to hold the shape.

10. Ravedog
    Ravedog Member
    thanks