Why is my Coffee Cup filled in?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by caseykrugman, Nov 27, 2012.

1. caseykrugman
    caseykrugman New Member
    I have a model that I'm trying to finish, and for some reason, not only is it $270 in ceramic, but the entire center of the cup is filled in. Anybody run into this before?

Thanks,

Attached Files:

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Your geometry probably had a hole around the top that wasn't closed. when MeshMedic goes about closing holes, it takes the simplest path.. and sealed the top.

If you could share your STL, there are several people about that could take a look and see what went wrong.

If you'd rather keep the file private, send it to me on a PM.

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    It's most likely filled because of some error in the model. And your price is so high because ceramics is price by surface area. That honeycomb is going to have a lot of surface area, and when you fix your model to have a hollow cup, your price is going to increase. One more And, your design looks too sharp and too thin for ceramics. Check out the rules for ceramics here.

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    it is hard to tell from the single image, but to me it looks suspiciously like an open
    honeycomb mesh with a solid cone floating inside - which would probably explain
    the high price (large surface area). Could mean wrong normals orientation on the
    "real" cup shape that the honeycomb should be fused with, or simply CSG gone
    wrong if you intended to subtract the cone from the cup shape in whatever modeling
    program you used.