What's the best material to print an action figure head in?

Discussion in 'Technologies and Hardware' started by jamesnix, Jan 22, 2013.

1. jamesnix
    jamesnix New Member
    I'm looking to find out the best material for printing action figure heads that I sculpt myself. I have ordered in Frosted Ultra Detail, which is smooth, but has print lines on the head, and the white strong and flexible is too rough. I'm looking for a material that allows for high detail and that is nice and smooth, like regular resin head casts.
    Any suggestions?
  2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    FUD is as about as good as it gets. Due to the additive process of 3D printing, there will just about always some signs of lines or layering in a print. A method that will work is to have a print done, spend some time finishing the model to the standards you require and then use that as a master for moulds for resin casting.

3. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Envisiontec and SolidScape machines and materials, people have been showing good results with those, including 1/6 and other big scale heads. The problem: not avaliable at SW.

Well, you can find some posts here, but those were tests, promo images and also modelers showing off the products they sell here, but in other materials (in other words, same 3d file but printed in a different supplier).