What glue to use for WSF to s/steel?

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by lensman, Jul 8, 2011.

1. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Has anyone had any experience gluing WSF (or any other acrylic/plastic) to stainless steel?

Just wondering what would be the best to use for a really strong bond (jewellery use).

Glenn

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Have a hunt for 'Devcon' and 'jewelry' (UK = jewellery), I've seen some of Devcon's clear epoxies are useful for jewellery making - you'd need to scuff up any smooth surfaces for the epoxy to grab to.

3. lensman
    Thanks. Can't say that I've heard of that before. I'll see if I can find it in Canada.

Glenn

4. LincolnK
    LincolnK New Member
    I have never found 2 materials that wouldn't bond well with E-6000.

Make sure you use it in a well ventilation room.

The toxic fumes are how you know it is working. ;)

Seriously though, any hobby store should have it, and it is STRONG!

Lincoln

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  5. lensman
    Thanks. I was on a jewellery (jewelry!) forum recently and that was mentioned also as a very good choice.

Glenn

6. merana33
    merana33 New Member
    My usual 'go to' resource for questions like this is http://www.thistothat.com/.

They recomend using an epoxy, which I would agree with. The porus nature of WSF will allow the epoxy to 'soak in' to the WSF and get a good solid hold.

Normally I'm a huge fan of E-6000, but I've found that on smooth, hard surfaces it can peel off if subjected to sideways force.

So if your S/Steel surface is nice and smooth I'd use an epoxy, but if it's rough enough to allow E-6000 to get a good grip that may be your better bet.

7. lensman
    Thanks for the advice and that great link...

Glenn