Wall Thickness Help Using Blender

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SRZDesign, Nov 3, 2012.

1. SRZDesign
    SRZDesign Member
    After months of working in Blender I'm finally getting the modeling and scaling down, but not so with wall thickness. The solidify modifier is a convenient automatic tool to make wall thickness. But I'm not sure if it actually represents the same number that is optimal for 3D printing minimum thickness of ".07mm", ie. If I type in ".07" in the setting, does that really correspond with .07 mm thickness if I upload stating I'm using mm units? Any light on this is appreciated. Thanks.

2. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    To make sure, do you mean 0.7 mm?

3. SRZDesign
    SRZDesign Member
    When I work in Blender I find that using cm is easier than mm. For example I'm making a cylinder shaped container that is going to be 28 cm high and 10 cm in diameter (real world). The model on my screen I'm using 28 blender units by 10 blender units width. So actually, I would think of applying .07 (of the units). After I'm done I select the whole thing and scale it by 10 to make into mm in order to upload which will be .7mm?.

4. victorrings
    victorrings Well-Known Member
    why are you not using the METRIC in the units section? this would clear up any confusion.

5. Ray716
    Ray716 Member
    When you are in Blender, To the right in the Properties panel, click the second button for Scene. The Third section down will be the section for Units. If you select Metric, You will be assured to get the exact size you are looking for. Just make sure you are working in Millimeters and not Centimeters or Meters.

I hope this Helps!

Ray