Video Game Owl Model Issue

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by davidavdavi999, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Hello,ok so I have this video game imported owl model from where I wanted to make a tabletop gaming figurine however I came into an issue.
    As it is directly imported from the game, the owl is made up of this tiny 2d square planes from which the feather textures are placed on, obviously I know that this cant stay like this as it could not be printed in my desired material full colour sandstone, so I tried removing all this squares but soon I noticed that this squares when removed made the model lose it's owl looking shape and became as skinny weird creature plus I didnt know how to get feather texture.
    My question is what should I do maintain that owl looking form and feather texture removing the tiny squares so it is 3d printable in full colour sandstone.Here is the .dae and texture files.

Thank you very much.

Attached Files:

2. 8_Perf
    8_Perf Well-Known Member
    Hate to break it to you, but in-game models are very rarely if ever 3d printable. They're just not designed that way. I took a look at this file in a model program and it looks like every single "feather" square you are referring too has no thickness. They are there just as a surface to put the texture map on. None of these will print.
    You would be better off finding a different model to use.

3. What I thought on was trying to edit the model to remove the "feathers" and somehow try to mimic via editing the solid mesh to have that similiar shape to what the feathers did and then edit on photoshop a new texture with multiple photos of the feathers to get the feather effect on 2d to apply above to the solid mesh.
    However the issue as im a mesh editing noob I would not know how to actually do this

4. 8_Perf
    8_Perf Well-Known Member
    You have a huge task ahead of you. I wish you luck.

5. However this is how I would do it but im not very experienced 3d modeler so in the case you really wanted to 3d print it how would you edit it to be able to do it?

6. Anyone else that has an idea of how to do it please feel free to reply.
    Thanks

7. 8_Perf
    8_Perf Well-Known Member
    I wouldn't. I think there is too much wrong with it to print it. You would need to figure out a way to separate all the feathers from the rest of the model and give them thickness so there was something there to print. If you load this into a modeler, you will see a lot of faces with no volume and a lot of holes in the rest of the mesh that would need to be patched before printing.
    I would honestly look for another model of a 3d owl that would suit your purposes. Probably find a decent one in the $20 range or a high end one closer to $100. Depends on what you really want to do with it and what your time is worth to accomplish it. As you said you were a "noob" to mesh editing, I would also find a simpler subject to practice on.

8. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Simplified instructions:

Open the DAE model in Blender.
    Use S to fix the scale of the model. In this case, I scaled it up by 1000 to make it about 6" across the wingtips.
    Go to Edit mode.
    Select an edge somewhere on the face. Press L to select linked edges. Press P/S to separate that object.
    Repeat the above about 50 times - separating each piece of the Head and Legs from the main body.
    Go back to Object mode (with the main body selected), and use the Solidify modifier to thicken each "feather" face up to a reasonable amount. I used a value of 4.
    I also used the Subdivision modifier to smooth the head some.
    Export the model as an STL and you get the file below.

I don't know if the result (attached) will upload to Shapeways.. it still has a good number of errors. I would suggest running it thru https://tools3d.azurewebsites.net/ - but that website has been having problems lately. Some other editor may be able to weld all the separate meshes together.

Attached Files:

9. OMG thanks so much this is awesome I really wanted to 3d print this model and I didnt know the way round it as it had so much complexity, I was already losing the interest on the proyect,thanks so much I really appreciate it.Two question however,how did u get to select every single feather independently?Im sure there are more than 50 :p and in which part in blender do I see that they are all separate objects?
    Thanks

10. stonysmith
    I separated the parts of the face and feet, one at a time. I left ALL the feathers joined together as a single object.

If you wish, you can go into edit mode and hit P then L to separate _every_ object out by itself. But.. be warned.. there are more than 11,000 pieces.

11. And why is it necesary to separate all those parts instead of leaving them all as one?

12. stonysmith
    If you don't separate the face and the feet, then the thickening (solidify) will apply to them also, and you'll loose the detail of the face. - the eyes would dissapear, and the claws would become more like fingers instead of staying sharp.

13. One last question, I followed all the instructions you gave me to solidify the feathers on a X3D file and manually fixed all non-manifold edges however when I try to upload the model to shapeways I get a non-manifold edge error even though in blender it says there are 0 non-manifold edges.What could be wrong with my model?
    This is the X3D file exported as DAE:
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

14. stonysmith
    Try uploading this copy.

==
    I resorted to a bit of programming. Basically, I separated all the objects from each other,set their individual origins to the center of mass, and then scaled them larger by 1.001 - just enough so that none of the edges actually touch each other.

Go into Edit mode.
    Use P - L to separate all loose objects
    Exit Edit mode
    Delete the default Camera and default Light - you don't need them.

Use Window/Toggle System Console to bring the console into view.
    Open the Python Scripting window.
    Paste in the text below, and hit RunScript
    Wait a good while... depending upon the speed of your machine.
    You can watch the progress in the console window.
    Export the model and upload to Shapeways (or use the copy attached)

Code:
    import bpy
    import os
    def fix(a):
        a.select_set(True)
        bpy.ops.object.origin_set(type='ORIGIN_CENTER_OF_VOLUME',center='MEDIAN')
        bpy.ops.transform.resize(value=(1.001, 1.001, 1.001), orient_type='GLOBAL', orient_matrix=((1, 0, 0), (0, 1, 0), (0, 0, 1)), orient_matrix_type='GLOBAL', mirror=True, use_proportional_edit=False, proportional_edit_falloff='SMOOTH', proportional_size=1, use_proportional_connected=False, use_proportional_projected=False)
        a.select_set(False)

for x in bpy.data.objects:
        print(x.name)
        fix(x)

Attached Files:

15. Hello thanks for replying once again and thanks for being so patient,I tried uploading both the attached file and the file after using the code by myself and I dont get non-manifold error anymore.However, for some reason it still doesnt let me upload it.The automated e-mail that i receive doesnt specify the error just says it couldnt be uploaded, I dont know what could be wrong now.

Thanks so much