Victims of the 10/7

Discussion in 'Other Interest Groups' started by HOLDEN8702, Oct 2, 2014.

1. HOLDEN8702
    HOLDEN8702 Well-Known Member
    Hi.

Some minutes ago I've seen an awesome model in "the feed" from Usmanov designer, a hollow dragon head

http://shpws.me/vKV0

[​IMG]

This led me to think about the models that many ARTISTS will have to lay apart in his catalog after the changing of pricing the next October7th-2014.

Show us your Loved Model, silent witness (as is the white inexpressive eye of the Dragon) of that we can say as an eve that will dissapear in a week, before It was so expensive that nobody would want to have it printed anymore.

Warm regards

Luis

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  2. ZoeBrain
    ZoeBrain Member
  3. HOLDEN8702
    Oh My God, Zoe, now I'm crying!

Please write also the links to these marvels! I don't know who is his Designer, but the work is awesome.

4. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
  5. ZoeBrain
    ZoeBrain Member
  6. HOLDEN8702
    Uff,.... the Zeppelin,.... how much will be in the 7th?

7. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
  8. ZoeBrain
    ZoeBrain Member
    From the designer:
    We're looking at 100% or more price rise for production cost. These are already expensive models. $8-$12 (after markup) being more usual for the smaller ones.

Photo0415.jpg

9. reducedAircraftFactory
    reducedAircraftFactory Well-Known Member
    The 1:288 Zeppelin frame (https://www.shapeways.com/model/1643036/) goes from under US$60 to ~$210...correction... over $250. (Something in their price-calculation tool has changed in the last few days and made things even more expensive.) I guess it falls specifically in the category of models Shapeways is targeting with these changes: relatively little material used while consuming a fair chunk of their print-block.

Ironically, it was one of the models I tried to feature when Shapeways did a Designer Profile on the Reduced Aircraft Factory a few weeks back. :-/

10. All of the filligree Skulls on the site.
    Voodoo Skull005.jpg
    Mines going from 30.85 to 102.72 before markup.

11. HOLDEN8702
    Thanks, man, for your apport.

I'm wondering how many of that piece of ART have you sold.

Sure your profits are less than the shapeways profits (or loses, as they want to say), and never so high to compense your time creating it.

12. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I'm guessing the zeppelin doesn't have any 40mm holes. If you uploaded it as 2 halves, what would the price be?

13. reducedAircraftFactory
    reducedAircraftFactory Well-Known Member
    It is already in two halves (the solid section in the center is where they lock together). When Shapeways makes the machine-space (skinning) visualization generally available, I'll take another look at it. But generally I think such designs are from a bygone time when the only thing that mattered was material used.

14. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Maybe you will have to cut them again, top and bottom, into 4 parts. And reinforce this "ecuator". Then pray all parts meet correctly when assembling.

BTW, how was it skinned? Paper?

15. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    Looks like some made some with high price in mind! :D

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  16. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Shapeways and the others will only be able to get away with these prices for about two more years. That's my prediction. By this time in 2016 they will have needed to either lower their prices drastically or discontinue the material.

This will be a good thing actually. The current prices stifle the design of large objects and it is currently causing the evolution of humans to be suppressed. When we first picked up two stones and cracked them together to make a sharp cutting tool we started evolving at an exponential rate from that point. Just look at all that we have created in the last 200 years! :D Our evolution is deeply rooted in how easily we can produce new things and once we get over this temporary wall we are going to see our evolution blossom wondrously and it is going to be absolutely amazing. :)

17. I wouldn't hold my breath...the other "S" service just announced a price change this week that includes an 8 euro handling fee per loose part!

18. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    We'll see. I like to keep track of my predictions, so I'll be back to see how I did. If I was wrong (I'm never wrong though HAHA ) I will post it up. If I was right I will post it up as well. :)