Very long production time

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Twopounder, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Twopounder
    Twopounder New Member
    So, I've placed my order, and a few days later I got a notice that it was "in production." But it's been there for 5 days. Surely it doesn't take 5 days to print a $20 item. As I have received no shipping information (or product) I assume it hasn't been mailed out.

Is this usual?
  2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    'In Production' status can mean the time period for when your file was sent to the printers to when Shapeways are ready to dispatch. Shapeways uses production partners for most materials, meaning your 3D model file can be printed on a different continent along with a batch of others. The printed model are sent back to Shapeways for sorting & distribution.

Looking at the Material Status it seems that there was a hiccup with WSF prints which has put them behind a bit.

Which material did you order in?
  3. Twopounder
    Twopounder New Member
    WD and FUD. I thought they had a facility here in the states. Do they really manufacture it here, mail it to Denmark, then ship it back out? :confused
  4. stop4stuff
    Not sure where you got Denmark from, Shapeways started out in The Netherlands (aka Holland). And for sure, Shapeways have offices in NYC (USA), but ordered prints may come from Europe or the USA (or maybe elsewhere?) head to their distribution point (USA or NL) to be sorted and shipped out to customers. Yes, it may take a bit longer than other online services, but the big advantage is the reduction in cost that Shapeways can get for their customers by being a middle-man.

Did you email Shapeways Customer Services, for a progress report yet?

5. Twopounder
    Twopounder New Member
    Ah, I thought they were in Denmark. My bad. Yes, I did send them a notice via customer service form, but I haven't heard anything back yet.
  6. stop4stuff
    Cool - You should get a reply on Monday, Shapeways Customer Services operate on workdays (Mon-Fri)
  7. Twopounder
    Twopounder New Member
    Yup, received a reply, AND a tracking number. Good to go now.