Variants: The Model File Dropdown Is Too Narrow

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Hobbes010, Jan 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hobbes010
    Hobbes010 Active Member
    When I create a variant for one of my models, I have to find the correct model file from a list.
    I've attached a screenshot of that list. Many of my model files have names that don't fit in the width of this dropdown. Worse, the unique part of the filename tends to be at the end, and is hidden. I have to hover on each name and wait for the tooltip to appear.

The dropdown should resize to the width of the longest name in the list. There are large amounts of unused whitespace on either side (see the second attachment), so plenty of space for long names.
    When the dropdown is closed, the model file name is again cut off. And in this state, there's no tooltip. So I have to guess which model file is used.

Attached Files:

2. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    I'm finding this problem also makes it difficult to check your work. Once you manage to fill in all the boxes the limited box width doesn't show the full model name. Hovering your mouse over a filled out box does not show the full name either. You actually need to reclick on the box to see the hover over reveal and that makes it easier to accidentally change the selection, besides it being a painful time waster.

If you have a product that can be fabricated in most of the material options, and it has 4 or 5 variant options, it can literally take hours to fill out the file names, pricing, and get the renders right. It's much too painful to add more product until this gets streamlined.

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    For finding the file, you can use the search tool. I'll forward on your suggestions to help make these tools better.

4. patmat2350
    patmat2350 Well-Known Member
    PLEASE do this! +1 for wider... I mean, why NOT?
    There are plenty of other places where SW coders make choices that make life more difficult for us... like non-resizable text edit boxes, and cutting off titles / part names that are are longer than some minimal string length.

5. MadBikeSkills
    MadBikeSkills Well-Known Member
    Making this display field larger would be a big win here. Suggesting that a maker jump through another hoop is just a losing proposition.

Please make this happen.

6. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Agreed, it needs to be wider. A workaround is to put some kind of identifier at the front of the file name so you can know what it is, that's what I've been doing. Searching works too, but I want to know for certain before I click on a file. :)

7. Frozenrain
    Frozenrain Well-Known Member
    It won‘t take you guys more than one minute.Why don't you make it wider instead of posting another solution here?

8. Hobbes010
    Hobbes010 Active Member
    So, 18 months later this is still an issue. In fact, it seems to be working worse than before.

1. The dropdown is too narrow so any model names longer than ~10 characters don't fit. This is a big issue if you have many parts with related names:
    Ariane 1 fairing scale 125
    Ariane 1 fairing scale 144
    Oops, they don't fit (not even on my 27" screen) and I have to wait for the tooltip to see which file I've selected.

2. The search function does not work. When I enter search text, the drop-down is populated with far too many items. The search term "Ariane" finds a load of items that do not have the name Ariane anywhere in their title, file name or description (see attachment). Worse, the list of search results changes every 2 seconds and keeps changing, making it impossible to select a search result. Using quotes to force an exact match does not work.

This is forcing me to rename my uploads so I can find them in the search box.

Attached Files:

• shw.png

shw.png

File size:
      18.7 KB
      Views:
  9. rowsdower
    rowsdower Member
    I can't help you with the refreshing search results, but the drop-down width is an easy fix if you're using a browser that supports user-defined CSS. If so, you can add this to your rules for the shapeways domain:

div.sw-pricing-table__model-chooser div.minict_wrapper ul{width:400px !important;}

You can change that "400" to whatever number of pixels you prefer. I use Firefox and you can add a file called "userContent.css" to your specific profile folder for your Firefox installation (...\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<whatever your profile alphanumeric string is>\chrome\) if it doesn't already have one. For Firefox the setting would look like this:

@-moz-document domain ("shapeways.com"){
    div.sw-pricing-table__model-chooser div.minict_wrapper ul{width:400px !important;}
    }

Again, for Firefox, you have to restart your browser for any changes in that file to take effect. So adding this CSS and refreshing the page won't do the job. You'll have to completely close your browser and then start it back up. Chrome probably works pretty much the same way but I've never worked with it. You can google up some help with your particular browser to see the correct way to implement this user-defined CSS in whatever you're using.

MadBikeSkills likes this.