USB powered rig helmet light

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Psychobob, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Psychobob
    Psychobob New Member
    This is the first time I've ever had a 3D model printed out and I was pretty pleased with the results :) This was a gift I made for a friend.

Like everyone, I have dozens of spare USB cables at home as they seem to come with everything, so I decided to put one of them to use. I cut off the end and soldered a resistor and LED on to the end to turn it into a coloured USB light. This then went inside the helmet to light it up.

So here are the pics.

1.jpg:
    The WSF pieces temporarily blu-tacked together just so I could get a rough idea that everything printed ok and if I needed to sand anything down. Luckily, I didn't need to :)
    1.jpg

2.png:
    The helmet was then superglued together and then I painted it with black and copper to give it an antique copper look. I also added extra bits inside the helmet to prepare for the USB light.
    2.png

3.png
    I then put in the USB cable I put together earlier and then mounted everything onto a base that I painted black
    3.png

4.png
    All finished. I plugged in the USB to light the LED and then took a picture next to my phone so you can get an idea of the scale.
    4.png

5.png
    Of course, you've got to have a dark night shot :)
    5.png

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  2. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi New Member
    Hahah, that looks awesome. :D
    What sort of paint did you use?

3. Psychobob
    Psychobob New Member
    Cheers!

I went for enamel paint in the end. I just bought 2 small pots from a model shop near work which only cost about £1.60 each.

4. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    That is Awesome !!

5. fx2
    fx2 New Member
    Looks great! Humbrol enamel, I guess ? I like using this paint on wsf, this gives a very nice finish.

6. dizingof
    dizingof New Member
    I logged in just to say very cool !!

That is exactly what i was looking for! for my Steampunk Dock for iPhone 4 - i.e: printing it with WSF and using this technique to give it a look of old Victorian age contraption

Cheers for the info !

7. Psychobob
    Psychobob New Member
    Thank you all for the comments, glad to see people other than me and my mate who I gave this to liked it :)

@fx2: Quite right, Humbrol was the make of the paint. To be honest I didn't specifically go for that brand, it just happened to be the one they were selling and I'm glad it came out quite nice :p

8. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Looks fabulous! I've been wanting to incorporate LED's into something for a while now and using the USB cable was genius. Problem is I know NOTHING about electronics.

Would you (or anyone, for that matter) care to share that part of the process here, other than just saying "I soldered a resistor", I mean, more depth for the electronically impaired.

Glenn

9. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    lensman, look into instructables.com there are a lot of led projects on there. I too am electronically impaired so I haven't done any yet. But I will be doing an LED rope project soon.

10. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Good suggestion. I'll take a look, thanks.

Glenn

11. pirsquared
    pirsquared New Member
    It looks like the helmet of the player in Dead Space:
    [​IMG]

Fantastic design!

-Eitan