Ups Now Trying To Extort Broker Fee >:( -canadians Beware

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by MillerBro, Sep 10, 2017.

1. MillerBro
    MillerBro Well-Known Member
    I wish I could say it wasnt happening again but : I just got a call from UPS where they are demanding my broker info and my Canada Revenue Business # for a 'No Brokerage Fee' order I placed through Shapeways. To say I am upset is an understatement as I was ASSURED that UPS wouldnt be pulling its old stunts when this change was first enacted. Im not paying an additional gouge fee of $30 to UPS on a $40 order :/

In fact I still have the email from Shapeways where I was told this wouldnt be happening:

Hi Jason,

My apologies for the confusion!

We have switched to a new service in an effort to get orders out to our community members faster and more efficiently.
    The service works by UPS picking up the shipment and moving it to the end terminal. From there USPS (or the local mail company) handles the delivery to the destination.

Because USPS is handling the domestic last mile, we can and will still ship to PO boxes.
    This also means you will not be charged for brokerage fees.

Shapeways if you value your Canadian customers you will contact UPS and put and end to this sooner rather than later.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    intrinsicallysublime likes this.
  2. MillerBro
    So far the support from Shapeways has been great- but UPS is still trying to shake me down for extra fees:

At first they demanded my broker information and my Canada Revenue Business number. I informed them there was to be NO brokerage and sent my invoice along with a note saying that Shapeways had been informed and would also contest any brokerage on my behalf.

Then UPS replied that there was in fact no brokerage (despite them asking for my broker and CRB #???) but duty and taxes. This in itself is unusual as my order is less than $50 and of the roughly 20 orders I have placed with Shapeways over the years I only ever got charged when the order was over $50 in past.

I informed UPS that all my past orders the duty and taxes had been handled by Canada Post and that it was unusual for UPS to delay my package and try to charge me for that - more that according to the process Shapeways has explained to me UPS was supposed to hand the package over to Canada Post without getting UPS Canada involved or delaying my parcels- I demanded that they pass my parcel on to Canada Post.... and thats where I am at currently- parcel on hold with UPS while they try to shake me down for any fee that they can apply :/

3. jimmyadvice
    jimmyadvice Shapeways Employee CS Team
    @MillerBro I am sorry to hear about this fee issue - only duty and import fees should apply (if any)

Please do reach out to us via service@shapeways.com if you cannot get this package released for delivery.

4. MillerBro
    Thank you Jimmy- as I said Shapeways has been awesome with this. The customer Service department has told me that no matter what Shapeways will make things right and I believe them :)

Currently this is where I am at ::

broker@ups.com
    3:38 AM (5 hours ago)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to me
    [​IMG]
    Hello since the shipper didn’t ship this with the mail and you want Canada post to clear we will return to the shipper and they can reship via mail.

Thank-you for using UPS,

Julie McNeil

UPS Canada

Fredericton International Department

Customer Service Phone Numbers

Canada 1-888-520-9090

USA 1-888-826-9188

Email address broker@ups.com

For my reply I sent the email I got from Shapeways customer service telling UPS to contact Shapeways as 'Juile' is clearly unaware of the contract you guys have with them :/

5. jimmyadvice
    @MillerBro I am sorry to see that.

Please let the agent handling your case know about this. We can contact UPS on our end and arrange to have this still delivered.

6. MillerBro
    Oh I did for sure- the agent helping me has been super- in fact the support that Shapeways offers when it comes to customer service is so amazing that Ive stopped 'worrying' about getting 'screwed' by UPS as I know whatever happens you guys will make good on it

7. jimmyadvice
    That's great to hear @MillerBro! I am glad we've stayed on top of this for you.

8. MillerBro
    Me too- UPS has a very bad reputation with Canadians as they do this all the time- if Shapeways is able to take them to task for it and protect its customers from their well documented extortionist fees then I suspect Shapeways will see an increase in orders - for me it means I can keep ordering from Shapeways with the confidence of knowing that I will get what I ordered without any unjust fees :)

9. MillerBro
    Ha! suddenly my UPS tracking has changed from them sending it back to Shapeways to :

We currently have the package. The receiver requested clearance by a non-UPS broker. / As requested, the package was transferred to a Free Trade Zone or a non-UPS broker.

And it is now sitting in Richmond BC lol

-UPS- they can try to bully the little guy all they want but if you mess up a contract with a client worth thousands of dollars a year when they actually give a crap about THEIR customers you can bet UPS will back down- Shapeways has just become my hero for a lot of reasons and Ive shared the story with my clients and friends so that they all know that ordering via Shapeways is safe no matter who the courier is :D

10. jimmyadvice
    @MillerBro that is great news!

I am glad we could help get this sorted out for you. Let the agent know if there are any further issues with delivery.

11. MillerBro
    Not sorted sadly- UPS is having none of it:

broker@ups.com
    4:17 AM (6 hours ago)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to me
    [​IMG]

Hello,

There is nothing on file that states we have a contract with Shapeways and the way they filled out the paperwork they have stated that your company is the importer of record responsible for the goods coming into Canada as well that your company is paying the importing charges. If you want Shapeways to pay the charges they need to email us a letter of authorization stating the below:

The letter must be on the shipper's letterhead stating:

"I authorize UPS to bill (company name) for importing charges (applicable duties, taxes and brokerage fees - ground) for shipment ID number (quote the shipment ID number)."

Finally it must be signed by the customer and dated.

Once we have that information we can clear and deliver free of charges however we will need your company to sign and return a one time authorization for authorizing that you are the importer of record and that you are responsible for the goods coming into Canada as well that we can clear this free of charges. If the shipper needs more information please have them contact their account executive as well you can call 1-888-520-9090

Thank-you for using UPS,

Julie McNeil

UPS Canada

Fredericton International Department

Customer Service Phone Numbers

Canada 1-888-520-9090

USA 1-888-826-9188

Email address broker@ups.com

12. MillerBro
    to be clear this isnt a COMPANY order- its personal figures for myself and I have no interest in running around filling out paperwork for UPS as I was ASSURED this (EXACTLY THIS) wasnt going to ever happen with UPS as your choice of shipping :mad: The fact that they called my house demanding information about my business and that I have had to waste my time dealing with a company that blackmailed me into paying an illegally applied brokerage fee in 2000 is unacceptable (I told them that as CBSA had said I shouldnt have had to pay brokerage I wouldnt pay and they threatened to send it to a collection agency- nice :( )

I have been told by Shapeways that this is because Shapeways sent my parcel Expedited and UPS now claims no contract exists and that you didnt fill out the paperwork properly so to have me have to fill out any documents about my company isnt happening- Paypal has assured me that I can request a full refund should I desire it as my package wasnt sent in the agreed on manner but Im not ready to give up on this yet- I am now requesting a reprint of my order be sent to me in the proper manner and Shapeways can deal with the thugs at UPS without wasting anymore of my time.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  13. jimmyadvice
    @MillerBro thank you for the follow on this.

We can sort this out with UPS on our end. Please let the agent handling your case know and we can get make sure you get the package without paying extra fees.

I will let our logistics team know about this as well to see if we can get this arranged. We do have a large contract with UPS as we have multiple accounts with them. UPS is a large logistics network and often the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.

Let's resolve this through the case so we can get this fixed for you.

14. MillerBro
    thank you- Im sorry to be so contrary, truly, but this company burned their bridges with me long ago and I 100% resent and dislike them and the way they do business. If I did illegal things and then blackmailed people into complying like they do I would be out of business- if you google UPS Canada you can see this IS their method for dealing with people and its a well known problem. Julie McNeil of UPS was told to work with you guys and to stop bothering me at home and she refused to even contact you.

That alone should be an indication of how much they value your customers, so if this allows you to streamline your system so that Canadians dont ever have to deal with her or UPS directly again then I suppose it is worth it... but with UPS I have my doubts as they have made a name for themselves this way.

15. I was thinking of ordering a large order of my own work but this switch to UPS has really made me rethink using Shapeways for any of my prints. As a Canadian I was screwed by UPS a few times over the years and I now make it a point to avoid them at any cost. I guess they are trying to force us to go to China for everything instead of promoting doing business with our closest allies.

16. Lefteri
    Lefteri Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hey @MillerBro and @intrinsicallysublime

We understand that you have had some negative experiences with UPS and that this is a concern for future orders. I'm very sorry about that. Your feedback is appreciated and has been passed on to our Distribution team. In the meantime, please know that you can reach out to service@shapeways.com if any issues do arise and we will do whatever we can to provide a resolution.

17. MillerBro
    In the end James was able to help me get my parcel without any fees though UPS did insist I fill out paperwork - I have been advised that in future if anything goes wrong to contact customer service immediately as they will assist with UPS.

Its not perfect but thats entirely the fault of UPS and in the least I know that Shapeways will cover any brokerage fees. Ive placed another order to test the waters and hopefully UPS doesnt mess me around on this one lol

jimmyadvice likes this.