Uploading work in shapeways

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shariff, Feb 14, 2013.

1. shariff
    shariff Well-Known Member
    hey guys i've tried uploading a model into shapeways but, keep getting a message telling me my work hasn't passed automated checks instantly.
    what am i doing wrong i know i've worked on my model sticking to tha right criterias no prob there is it cos i uploaded in obj (zipped) or stl(zipped) but then these are allowed. what is it? I'v been told of netfab but, don't know what on Earth todo with that someone please give some specific help.
  2. bartv
    bartv New Member
  3. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
  4. shariff
    Here's what it says and it's happened each time.

"Hi ,

Uh oh! Seems like your model needs a bit more love before our robots can work their magic.

The 3D model Tree Stump Plant Pot you recently uploaded didn't pass all our automated checks, so it's not yet ready for 3D printing.

Our tutorials and FAQ can be super helpful for more detailed information, or you can always ask the community a specific question on our forum

If you're stuck or have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out at service@shapeways.com. Please include the file attached to the email, as well as any notes on your design, so we can help you solve your problem as quickly as possible.
    Kind regards,

The Shapeways Service Team
    Ralph, Maartje, Kevin, Christel, Joost, Michon, Mitchell and Gary

Made in the future*
  5. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    I'm guessing the trangle count is too high.

Load the model into NetFabb, down on the bottom right, next to dimensions, the triangle count will be displayed.
    Shapeways maximum is 1,000,000 (1 million ), as a binary STL the file size will be under 48MB

6. bartv
    bartv New Member
    Hi shariff,

I inspected the file and it's fine - just be sure to select 'meters' as the unit size when uploading. The error mail should contain more helpful information, I'll pass it along to our team.

7. shariff
    u see thats another prob this model is way lower than that
  8. bartv
    bartv New Member
    What is the expected size?
  9. shariff
    oh i see i've been selecting mm

thank u so much u've been really helpful i'll check it now,
  10. shariff
    it's worked nicely but on the 3d generated view u guys made the model is showing polys why is this I was intending a smooth surface.
    please let me know what i would do about this thanks.
  11. bartv
    bartv New Member
    Our printers will print the 'pure' geometry - they can't apply any smoothing. If you need less faceting, you should increase the resolution of your model before exporting.

12. shariff
    ok but will it manually be smoothed by sanding later, just want to know it's confusing sorry.

probably a stupid question but i'll ask. Will I be charged for the production of my model just want to be clear.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  13. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    In the "polished" materials you get some tumbling, but I'm pretty sure there's no hand sanding.

Except by you!