Uh oh! Seems like your model needs a bit more love before our robots can work their magic.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by andrew40, Apr 24, 2013.

1. andrew40
    andrew40 New Member

I received an email saying that "There's a problem with your model". However, there was no description of what the problem was, such as non-manifold edges. If I did not get a specific error message, does this mean there is a problem with the file type?

Please let me know if anyone else has had this issue. Thank you
  2. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    See here 66133 and search the forum for many other instances.
  3. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Last time I got this e-mail I think (but I am not 100% sure) that it was because I exceeded the 1 million triangles limit. If it was the case, having a more explicit message would have helped.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    Can you share the model with us? Currently, if you fail the automatic checks, it just kicks back a failure error :(. If it were a file type error, or manifold error, you would be notified.
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    I think everyone gets that message at some point.
    Did they not give you an image of where the problem is?
    I will look at it for you; just upload the file. By PM or my email, if you want to keep it private.
  6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    Images of the problem area are only for manual check rejections that are after you order.
  7. trishycakes
    trishycakes New Member
    I have been having that problem off and on myself, but only if I run it through netfabb. If I try it again, sometimes it just works. I have been avoiding netfabb at the moment for that exact reason.
  8. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    That error message occurs due to one of several factors including (but not limited to);

Over 1 million triangles. (save the file as a stl binary, if the model is 49.6MB+ there's more than 1million triangles. or just use NetFabb to get the count)
    A time-out on Shapeways Mesh Medic checking software generally caused by a close to 1m tri limit colour model or complicated multi shell model (e.g. chain maille)
    A winding check error - this is to do with a model having triangles that are not in the right order and probably just one doesn't match up with the rest.

Models that are built using a face to face butting up system (Sketchup?) will also cause a similar issue if the amount of shared faces causes confusion with Mesh Medic.