Truly Transparent Material

Discussion in 'Materials' started by click2detail, Apr 16, 2018 at 3:46 PM.

1. click2detail
    click2detail Member
    Is there demand out there for a truly transparent material? (Or are we the only ones?). When we did our 3D printing in-house we used the Viper SLA with Somos Watershed XC11122 resin and it produced really spectacular clear parts. It wasn't cheap but it is worth it. The "transparent acrylic" (aka Objet VeroClear?) currently available on Shapeways is unsuitable when you really need clear parts. Is there enough demand out there to get the attention of the materials team and maybe make this available to us?

Attached Files:

MartinBoom likes this.
  2. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    I can get that material from another service and it is 3 times the price of the same part in silver! If those cost are typical I would not expect it to go mainstream here. -S

3. hanelyp
    hanelyp Well-Known Member
    Depending on geometry, a process might be attractive of
    - 3D printing
    - smoothing the print
    - making a mold with silicone
    - then casting acrylic.
    The silicone mold is the limiting factor on geometry here.

4. MartinBoom
    MartinBoom Member
    On that same note...
    i was thinking options to solve the "dome" of this fella.
    what Click2detail explains wouth be awsome. i see a lot of people requesting such a material. but im fairly new to shapeways to really get a sense of what goes arround community wise.

cheets
    kodos_render_v1_.jpg

Attached Files:

5. I for one would love a completely transparent material, BUT I don't think the cost of such material would allow it to be feasible.

6. click2detail
    click2detail Member
    Has Shapeways done a cost analysis to determine what they'd have to charge to make this worthwhile? Then float the price to the community and see if customers would pay the price. I'd expect that Shapeways has pricing power with vendors so their cost structure might make it feasible. Does anyone know of alternative transparent materials?

7. click2detail
    click2detail Member
    Certainly this can be done but it is one more step for the end user and will deter all but the most intrepid from buying a part to use as a pattern and casting the transparent piece.

8. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    A perfect clear could be offered as an option for Shapeways' machines that print Shapeways' High Definition Acrylate. I own a few of these SLA type machines and I can tell you that perfectly clear resin is not very expensive. It's like $90 US per liter retail. Shapeways could probably get a nice clear resin for thier SLA machines for something like $25 per liter if they shopped around and made a large wholesale purchase.