Toyota Sr5 1985

Discussion in 'RC Cars, Boats and Planes' started by RCNerds, Apr 20, 2017.

1. RCNerds
    RCNerds Member
    Hi

I would like to share with you my latest build - Toyota SR5 1985 on Axial SCX10 II chassis. I focus mostly on body and interior, thats why for this project I use custom designed items for 3D print.

Inspiration

Inspiration was of course Toyota sr5 from the middle 80s. Car You can watch in Back to the future movie and almost the same version that guys form Top Gear try to destroy : )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Assembling the chassis
    Here, everything went traditional. Only change so far I made in gearbox top shaft to avoid slope that occur in this KIT. I cut some remaining plastic pipe and put in on the end of the shaft.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Elements Design

Body from proline is made with accuracy known for them. What suprizes me is that lexan used for this shell is very thick (1 mm and more). But painted and with stickers only looks a little bit ascetic. So I decide to add some more life to it. I designed for now around 17 elements like grill bumers wipers ect. There are more to come, but I will focus now only for them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RCNerds
    RCNerds Member
    Order from Shapeways

All finished items was ordered from Shapeways. (For those that doesn't know Shapeways is a page where You can downlad Your project and easily order it as 3d print, and publish for everyone)
    Elements was very good quality. The main material that they use is the so-called "White / black strong & flexible", which is much more accurate than the standard FFF prints (melted in a heated head) found in home 3d printers.
    Some smaller parts was printed using High Definition Acrylate (UV-sensitive print method) here the quality is insane.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Painting items

This stage was a big experiment because I have no experience in painting and generally in painting at all. Fortunately material from Shapeways was easy to work with and most importantly resistant to acetone! So some parts I could paint so many times that I thought it was good; )

There are many ways to paint this materials. They can be also mount without painting. The main elements - (White / black strong & flexible) I painted in a simple way:

1. Firts I put thin layer of primer (Tamiya 87064 Fine Surface Primer)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. After a few minutes, I brushed the primer with 600 wet sandpaper (I rubed the primer until the surface of item was gently visible)

[​IMG]

3. another layer of primer and sandpaper 800 then 1200 and stop with 3000

Fnished items were painted with Tamiya TS-76 Mica Silver, TS-29 Semi Gloss Black, TS-14 Black, TS-1 Red Brown

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The elements of the lamps are made with the transparent Frosted Detail Plastic, and is just after that is matt. I use 1200 and 3000 sandpaper, and use spray varnish. Tamiya X-27 Clear Orange, Tamiya X-27 Clear Red can be used to add red or orange or ranom marker.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. RCNerds
    RCNerds Member
    The chassis is almost ready. I am not really good at gluing plastic so I use here inner fenders from Axial. In the chassis I cut a little battery case and the receiver box to make room for the interior, with was made form styrene. In future here will be more stuff, of course 3d printed. To hold body on it I use 20x3mm magnets. New receiver box now is from traxxas. And YES the cable from the phone to connect the lights.
    HELLO- is it me you're building for?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. RCNerds
    RCNerds Member
    Toyota body is painted and ready for all 3D printed parts.
    The red orange-white paint is a loose interpretation of the iconic Toyota 80s paintings. Lexan was painted from the outside for matte lacquer paint. Weathering may be improved later.

I see a PS-60 door and I want it painted PS-55
    No colors anymore I want them to turn PS-55 ; )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. RCNerds
    RCNerds Member
    Here is a sneak preview of assembled all 3d printed parts fon toyota pro-line body :)
    Everything fits perfectly. Car is ready to run outside, and it performs well. I set chassis for Scaled competition and take 4th place :) ( I run without winch.. and lost on the last special stage. So next step will be adding Warn winch. Now I will focus on interior few parts. I will post more pictures from outside soon : )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is some quick preview of my project outside. I will take another photos with smaller tires form cc-01, dirtgrabbers are little to big imo. So this part is done. I will be now focusing on few interior parts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

interrobang_toys likes this.
  6. czhunter
    czhunter Well-Known Member
    supercool!

7. I love this. So much. Great attention to detail, love the dirty windshield. Very well done!

8. SnoozeAlongSnail
    SnoozeAlongSnail Well-Known Member
    Looks absolutely amazing! Great work :D

9. railNscale
    railNscale Well-Known Member
    That's a very nice kit! :)

10. MAKR_Z_RC
    MAKR_Z_RC Member
    This is awesome! So much detail! How did you manage to paint the dashboard with so much precision?

11. chrispaul
    chrispaul Member
  12. WinupScaleModels
    WinupScaleModels Active Member
    Nice modification! Awesome finish!

13. koahao73
    koahao73 Member
    Very nice kit..like the way it turned out