Tolerance And Shrinkage Factor 3d Printing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas_Sikorski, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Hi community

Yesterday I have tired to mount my 3D printed project, but unfortunately the expected distance of 118mm is 1.2mm too small and I can't place the screws. Most of my designed values are smaller (exp. diameter 60.5mm is 59.5mm / exp. diameter 8.8mm is 8.4mm, exp. hole distance 118mm is 116.8mm). I am not a big expert in 3D metal printing, but there should be a shrinkage factor which "expand" the STL with a factor "x".

What is your experience? Shall I redisegn my file and extend the values manually so 3D the printing "output" fits to my physically part with cheated values?

Thank you
    Tom

2. SemperVaporo
    SemperVaporo Well-Known Member
  3. Hi

Thank you for your feedback and the "help" page. These are values I could work with, but 1.2mm are way too much. Lets see, what support does say.

Best

4. runcyclexcski
    runcyclexcski Member
    I've been ordering in aluminum (perhaps 20 pieces by now), hole patterns of 20 holes inside a 5x25 mm rectangle. I haven't noticed any shrinkage. These are used to match CNC-milled glass pieces, and all holes seem to match, with no apparent accumulation of error for outer holes for the 25 mm dimension. If there was a 1.2mm deviation I would definitely notice and stop ordering from SW, but so far so food. My pieces are pretty flat and low, may be that's a factor (i.e. closer to the mounting platform?)

Shea_Design likes this.