Titanium In The Works?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrNibbles, Sep 9, 2018.

1. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    I noticed in the new magazine/blog article on skateboards this little blurb:
    I suppose this would have done with a production partner of some sort. Does this mean titanium may become available in the future? Not that I have any need for it yet. My bones and joints are still in excellent shape. :cool:

2. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    Lucky you! If they offered it to replace my failing parts, I'd soon look like robocop...

Not sure if I could find a use for titanium either, but who knows?

3. lawrencekramer2014
    lawrencekramer2014 Well-Known Member
    3D printed titanium jewelry is already available from other suppliers, so I hope shapeways will add it soon.
    You can get these fantastic colors by applying different voltages at a very low amperage.
    See this video:

Malwen likes this.
  4. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Wow, the "prices are coming down"! Autodesk Fusion 360 dixit.
    And remember:
    You could find it fits your needs, or at least helps with the first prototyping steps.
    /s

5. MrNibbles
    So who did the actual printing? Maybe shapeways just printed the brass colored mount and someone else did the titanium prints.

6. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Probably a one-off demo job by SLM Solutions, maybe even something agreed upon before the new CEO came into office.

7. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
  8. lawrencekramer2014
    Thanks Mitchell,
    I sent them a message. This could really be fun.
    Brilliant purple (80.0 volts) for my jewelry and MrNibbles lures.

9. MrNibbles
    Lures are already too expensive in printed steel or aluminum even with customization. I shudder to think how pricey a titanium spoon lure would be not to mention the anguish of losing one snagged on an underwater tree branch.

Titanium is good for non-magnetic applications such as tools used in close proximity to MRI machines. Printing titanium is also likely easier than machining the stuff so it kind of makes sense for something like skateboard trucks using organic looking support structures. It doesn't look like they are actually trying to market those titanium trucks except to perhaps a few high performance skateboarders who might benefit from a slight reduction in weight. Perhaps they are also stiffer and provide a small advantage in certain maneuvers. They're bound to be extremely pricey for general consumption. On the other hand iPhones can cost well over $1,000 so who knows what's in our future?

10. lawrencekramer2014
    estimated average industry cost per pound quoted today:
    stainless steel: $ 1.65
    aluminium: $ 1.76
    titanium: $25.58 (but half of that is machining cost)
    sterling silver: $192.42
    14K gold: $9,835.84
    So it's all relative, I use a lot of silver, a little bit of gold, so titanium looks attractive.

11. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Not sure if that list provides a useful estimate for the cost of DMLS titanium (let alone at a time where shapeways is trying to cover their losses), even compared to cast gold. The Autodesk video on youtube that stannum linked to above gave a figure of $2600 for the skateboard part IIRC.

12. MrNibbles
    I think that's why Spring and Wonder is based on Jewelry. It's probably easier to finagle profits with 3D printed jewelry than with many other classes of products. A standard fishing lure spoon at Cabellas or Bass Pro that's chrome plated, hand painted with stripes and eye features, decorated with a fuzzy feather, and has associated hardware like split rings and treble hooks: $5.00. An equivalent basic steel spoon from SW is going to cost you about $10 or whatever the minimum fee is (or will be) for smaller versions and you still need to add the hooks and stuff and a mark-up to make the effort worthwhile. Customizing capability for the lure with text or an image doesn't move the sales needle either. And the same applies to all of my other bright ideas. It's probably time to bury the whole MrNibbles 3D printed business enterprise at sea.

[​IMG]

13. lawrencekramer2014
    I try to cram as many copies as possible within the boundaries of the casting box, (eg 1 deep, 5 on each side of a center shaft = 10 pieces per cast) but even in brass that's about $20, $2 per piece. Margin matters and if you can't get enough to make sense, then I will miss you.

14. lawrencekramer2014
    Hi Folks,
    Well, after some back and forth with business sales, here is the outcome and my response:

Hey Lawrence,

Unfortunately titanium is a no-go; we're not really offering at the moment, and it's only case-by-case in very large quantities.

My reply:

Thank you,
    It is unfortunate that shapeways chose to feature something that willing marketplace shop makers are not able to pursue.
    There is not much point in doing PR for an offering that is not really there.
    I can purchase titanium for a single run of the two models I shared from at least two USA vendors.
    (I then have to do the voltage anodizing myself, not a big deal if I am taking delivery instead of having the item drop-shipped to the customer.)
    But those vendors do not automatically feed into the shapeways marketplace for direct delivery to the customer; which is what I was attempting to accomplish.
    Best Wishes,
    Lawrence

MANDELWERK likes this.