Tiny chess set?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by morganwk, Jan 7, 2012.

1. morganwk
    morganwk New Member
    I am thinking about making a tiny chess set (Because this stuff is so extremely expensive) And I was thinking, how small could I get a chess set?
    1x1 in.? 1.5x1.5? 2x2? I want it to be as cheap as possible. Do you think something that small would work with the white and black strong & flexibles?

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    For individual models, you can get as small as a 2.5mm cube (approx 1/10 in), but if you make all of the pieces within a cage you can go smaller - right down to the 0.7mm minimum wall thickness for S&F, however you wouldn't be able to get much detail on such small peices and they wouldn't be very practical for playing with.

I'd go for a size that's both priced right for you and a easy size to play with. To get the price down, you can make the pieces hollow and include all the pieces in a cage as one model so you only get one setup fee instead of 16 or 32.

3. morganwk
    morganwk New Member
    What do you mean by in a cage?
    If I could get them really small, I could print out a silver and gold set...
    I was thinking of playing with tweezers :)

4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Make a model of a cage to enclose the loose pieces within - will not work for any of the stainless variations, silver or ceramic... but will work with any of the strong & flexibles.

Don't forget to include 2 sets of tweezers with your model so that you can have a fair match ;)